Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time seed grower.

+2
Betty
Maree
6 posters

Go down

First time seed grower. Empty First time seed grower.

Post  Maree Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:07 am

Hi, and Yes I have sowed my first tomato seeds collected from last years homegrown tomato. Cool
They have been in for 6 days and I'm getting toey...no sign yet.

My insecurities are kicking in big time: pale Maybe I didn't ferment them properly, store them properly (they weren't in the dark for a few months), sow them in good enough seed raising mix, give them enough heat.

Oh well....I'll let you all know if and when they germinate. If they don't, I have more seed so will try again this weekend.

Cheers
Maree
Maree
Maree

Back to top Go down

First time seed grower. Empty Re: First time seed grower.

Post  Betty Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:14 am

Hi Maree, I am a first time tomato seed grower too, in fact I've just got hooked on planting every sort of seed I can get hold of it seems. Laughing It's an addiction.
Don't despair. I was like you, fretting over seeds that wouldn't germinate but they all have eventually. I think my capsicums have taken 3 weeks or more. Shocked I plan to put more seeds in today, but first have to take a trip to town for more seed raising mix. I found it rather exciting when everything started germinating.

Cheers
Betty
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 am

All I can say is give it longer. They will take about 2 weeks is my guess. I'm sure you will get something.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:33 am

Bit soon but know how it is Smile Long as there's moisture and warmth you're bound to see a tomato plant any time soon - fortnight should be max. I don't count the days any more because I plonk a whole squashy tomato in the ground or a pot and walk away forget it LOL. You can get away with it in this climate Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:57 am

I was just thinking that about our climate here too, Fran.

We have tomatoes producing now and they all came up in the garden from last year's crop, my Hunter and Gatherer just moved them to a new bed.
Saw a couple of lovely capsicum plants growing from dropped seeds down there too yesterday.

I am sure your seeds will come up soom for you, Maree.
Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 am

I don't know about packet seed, but tomatoes must be very variable, because those that fall to the ground can germinate new plants right through the summer here. There must be certain conditions of light, temperature and moisture that gets them going. As a rule though, they germinate fairly readily. I think it's like most plants - the more they cost, the fewer plants you expect to germinate.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maree Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for the encouragement, perhaps my impatience was showing.

I also have toms in the garden that self seed, but that's not until later on when the weather has warmed up considerably.

Cheers for now
Maree
Maree
Maree

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:25 am

It is exciting though, and especially for a first time seed sower. I have been sowing veg seed for many years, and still get pretty toey about them coming up. I have some veeerrrry slow pumpkins and cucumbers on the kitchen window sill, some tomatoes and eggplants on the window sill in my office, and have just planted some beans and zucchinis in jiffy pots - I wonldn't normally do that, just wanted them started early to put in my water wicking garden. It is just as exciting every year.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:22 pm

I've had tomato seed I'd given up on, sown for a month, which came up. They do it to annoy you!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:52 am

Yes - you can hear the little B's sniggering to themselves under the ground as you walk past. I had one come up in the huge pot where my weeping Jap maple is planted. It brazened it's way through several frosts, and almost set fruit in the middle of winter. Then it remembered it was in Creswick, not in Qld :-(
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down