Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

getting good flavour from a tomato

+3
The Estate
Blossom
Fran
7 posters

Go down

getting good flavour from a tomato Empty getting good flavour from a tomato

Post  Fran Sun May 18, 2008 6:03 am

Do you think flavour is affected by the type of fertilizer you use and the soil they are grown in?
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

getting good flavour from a tomato Empty Re: getting good flavour from a tomato

Post  Blossom Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 am

I think only marginally although I have tasted some commercial tomatoes that have been distinctly 'fishy'. Raymondo, Gnome or Lomatia would be more knowledgeable about this, but flavour seems to me to be more a matter of genes, but individual taste comes into it too. For example, everyone I spoke to when I planted Bonnie Best were scathing of the flavour yet I found it mild but a very pleasant flavour and a bloody good producer - so it's hard to say. Black cherry, I found ordinary, plenty other rave about it. Pearly Pink was superb, other find it pathetic. I've actually crossed it with Black Cherry for experimentation. I like acid on the palate for my tomatoes ( and my wines) while others like the sugars so what suits one don't always suit another! The soil I grow in is basically clay and apart from the potting mix that I start them in, they get nothing more than a bit of potash during the growing season, so I don;t think I influence the taste. I did try a commercial tomato food one year which had to be applied every two weeks. Can't say it improved them at all, and it was basically potash anyway, so they got a bit OD'd on K - I was unimpressed with the result as the stems were not as robust as they could be so I determined not to feed them on, once they are in the ground. Interested in what other growers think.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun May 18, 2008 2:26 pm

I have ever only grown the old fashioned ones, and boy you can't beat the taste of a freshly picked tommie pig , not like the plastic stuff at the stoopid market Evil or Very Mad which we all know about affraid
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Flavour is multi-faceted. Weather, water levels, nutrient availability and variety all have their impact. To cap it all off, it's very subjective as well. As Blossom points out, one man's meat is another woman's poison. My belief is that properly nourished soil will produce tasty fruit, given good weather. All that's left is to find varieties you like.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  karingal Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:26 pm

As an aside....I am of the belief that all fruit tastes better if at room temperature. I try to keep my tomatoes on the dresser so that they develop a better flavour. I don't grow any toms... I am the only one who eats them. I buy Embarassed Embarassed approx 3 tomatoes every 3 or four weeks. In summer I buy the punnets of cherry type toms.... they last me until they are past it. As a kid I loved to eat tomatoes straight from the bush.
Oddly enough, Ross eats tomato based dishes...just not fresh toms.
karingal
karingal
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 am

I agree with Karingal. Don't put them in the fridge. Let them sit in a bowl on the kitchen bench. Snack on them pig
I have been drying mine and the flavour is wonderful.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

getting good flavour from a tomato Empty getting good flavour from a tomato

Post  earthmama Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 am

I like to grow a variety of tommies as what we dont eat fresh I make into homemade sauce for cooking. I find by doing this the sauce tasts better and everyone eats the type of tommie they like the best.
earthmama
earthmama

http://angela-earthmama.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down