Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

discolouration on tomato leaf?

2 posters

Go down

discolouration on tomato leaf? Empty discolouration on tomato leaf?

Post  benm Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi All,

I've got a problem with one of my tomato seedlings and thought I would come straight to the experts for help. The plant is about a foot high and I haven't planted it out yet as I live in a cold climate and want to avoid the last frosts.

The tips of the leaves are bleaching and there is a bit of mottling going on as well. I can't work out if it is diseased or whether it's a mineral deficiency. I bought the seedling at bunnings a couple of weeks ago. It's a diggers beam's yellow cherry tom.

Here is a pic (full size can be seen here) - can anyone suggest what it is / what I should do. Thanks, Ben.

discolouration on tomato leaf? Tomatoes

benm

Back to top Go down

discolouration on tomato leaf? Empty Re: discolouration on tomato leaf?

Post  Blossom Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Ben,
This could be early blight. It might pay you to spray the plants with a weak solution of a copper based fungicide. Avoid watering onto the leaves as this will spread it, but water the pots or soil. If it gets worse, remove as many of the affected leaves as you can.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  benm Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks Blossom, considering I only have room for 3 tomato plants should I just get rid of the seedling and get another going? Will it be fighting the disease the whole time and is it likely to spread to the other plants?

I also have another plant that was knocked by frost (tried to get going early this year...), it seems to have survived and is coming back but will it be less productive as a result of the early set back?

Sorry lots of questions, this is only my second year with a vege patch.

Love your blog BTW.

Thanks
Ben

benm

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:24 am

Ben, try repotting them and giving them a feed of seaweed solution weak. I'm never keen on junking a plant unless I give it a good try. It might not hurt to plant some extra seeds anyway, you can never have too many tomatoes! Are you going to grow them in a garden bed? If so, providing you have no risk of frost, they may be big enough to plant out and just suffering from lack of nutrition.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  benm Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 am

Blossom, I'm located in Orange NSW so there is still a risk of frost. The tom plant is pretty big for it's punnet so I might repot it like you say and keep it away from the other tomatoes. Seaweed solution is a good idea too.

When do you plant out tomato seedlings? Early November? I think the Tas climate is quite similar to here (?).

cheers
Ben

benm

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 am

It's traditional here to plant out after 11th November - I have risked it before then, around 20th October and right into December and even January. I wouldn't plant out earlier than 20th October though and only then with a bit of shelter.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  benm Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Blossom, i'll hold off until about 11 November and plant out then. I tried planting out in October and got knocked and lost 2 plants and one is just surviving. Live and learn I suppose. I covered them but not enough. Excitement for the different varieties I was trying this year I suppose...

Thanks for your help, love your blog too BTW.
Ben

benm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down