Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edible Rose Hips

4 posters

Go down

Edible Rose Hips Empty Edible Rose Hips

Post  siri Mon May 05, 2008 3:56 am

Continuing on the hunt for edible hedgerow foods, I am looking for types of roses to plant for edible hips - for syrup, jelly & jams. SOmething that isn't going to end up too big and thorny - perhaps for front row shrubbery. Something that will give the added bonus of a show of flowers at least once in the season.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Edible Rose Hips Empty Re: Edible Rose Hips

Post  The Estate Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 am

Where I work we hire bins to a grave digger and he collects all the hips and makes jam, he gave me a sample and it was yummy, best drop the hint again Laughing BTY it is at the Springvale Crem, 10,000's rose plants there, last count was over 40,000 apparently Shocked Makes for a nice quiet garden tour lol!
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 am

The dog rose, R canina is the one that hips were taken from to produce Vit C - arches and not thorny

Liz Druitt in her book " The Organic Rose Garden" recommends it and Rosa rugosa rubra, Hansa, Old Blush, and Dortmund for best tasting hips. Hansa is large and thorny so it's out probably. Old Blush is a china with ordinary pink flowers ( I grow it - least I think I have it - was a cutting and not positively identified - almost continual flowers like all the chinas ) - orange hips - metre half tall - not thorny. There is a climber. Dortmund is a Kordes of course - thorny but a striking shrub when in flower - makes a fabulous hedge as you can see here - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1592&tab=10

Some hips are edible but some have lots of seeds with small hairs that irritate. Herbalists use them for other things.

What about the ornamental quince - you can still use the fruit from this for jelly. When reminds me I haven't had a lamb and quince stew for yonks Wink

dwarf pomegranate - smallish but drought/frost resistant, shrubby and can be clipped.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon May 05, 2008 6:43 am

Rosa rugosa rubra and old blush sound like good choices for the edible hedgerow. I bought 2 pomegranites last week Very Happy I think they are big ones, and will go in the "Olive Grove" area with my olive trees, and hopefully some figs and loquats if I can source the latter.
That's a whole nother project in the makings. It will all be underplanted with drought tolerant things - kniphofia, agapanthus, iris, stachys, more roses - probably rugosas, and tough ground covers. I'm waiting for the workmen to stop driving over that area so I can plan it out and have a dingo digger in to shape up the garden beds and paths. meanwhile I'm collecting the plants. Most of the smaller things i grow and will divide up.
Oh - the other rose - Dortmund - is lovely and I'm sure I will be able to find a place for a hedge of that. Along the new fence perhaps. Nice and thorny might stop little miss smarty-doggy-pants from jumping over.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Mon May 05, 2008 7:45 am

I can give you some loquat seedlings if you are ever in Melbourne.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 am

Sounds good. Would they be postable guzzy? I would be happy to pay P&P for them. I get to Bundoora sometimes, but rarely ever out to SE melb. (Used to live at Burwood many yonks ago) Maybe even some seeds would be good? Do they germinate easily?
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm

siri wrote:Sounds good. Would they be postable guzzy? I would be happy to pay P&P for them. I get to Bundoora sometimes, but rarely ever out to SE melb. (Used to live at Burwood many yonks ago) Maybe even some seeds would be good? Do they germinate easily?
Cheers, Jan

could try posting. they are seedlings I potted up from fruit dropped from the tree next door hanging over the fence. I could remove the soil and wrap in damp paper or something and express post. the ducks have been munching on some of the leaves but I don't expect that will matter too much. If you are willing to take the chance PM me your details and I will send them up.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue May 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Found this for you Siri - a short article on hips - http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_rosehip.shtml

I think you'd like Buff Beauty. Didn't grow well for me up here - sort of sprawled along the ground and wouldn't climb - didn't flower much either and I would have dug it out but some finches decided to make their home there and I didn't have the heart. I have seen it growing in a kinder climate though and it's lovely.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 am

Thanks Fran, I have bookmarked that page for future reference.
The bob cat finished ripping up the hederow area yesterday, and a bit of moisture has penetrated with what rain we have had, so I'm getting excited obut it all.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Wed May 07, 2008 6:45 am

I hope you had the camera out Siri, you should know by now I am a sticky beak Laughing lol!
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down