Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a Rose Maze

3 posters

Go down

Making a Rose Maze Empty Making a Rose Maze

Post  siri Fri May 02, 2008 12:29 pm

I am planning on putting in a simple maze in the 2 acre extension (extra 2 acres we bought along side the almost 1 acre). I have 12 heritage apples on dwarfing stock, coming from Tassie this winter, and thought I would plant them espalier style with pine posts and wire, in a large circle with a gap each side. I have it in mind that I will prepare the soil inside the circle for a couple of years, but using that area as a large veg garden and incorporate lots of pea straw and manure, then make my paths and do my planting down the track some time. (My nickname as a child was "Patience")
meanwhile I will be looking for ideas as to what to plant my maze with. I like low growing bush roses, and want a large variety, and will probably combine them with perennials. I also want ideas for a central feature tree, which I will most likely plant this year to get it moving along.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Making a Rose Maze Empty Re: Making a Rose Maze

Post  The Estate Fri May 02, 2008 1:43 pm

will find the thread on the yanky site I wvisit and post it here, they uses this rose as a fence affraid
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 05, 2008 9:16 am

I'd like to see a drawing so I could picture it better.

Will you have a single path - path width will be important - most roses have thorns.

Do you want variety of colour or will you stick you to a particular colour scheme for effect. Do you want shrub roses for foliage cover - perennials will disguise bare canes though.

Don't mind me but I'm the sort of person who will walk into a park, see hundreds of roses lined up and immediately lose interest. There is nothing to draw me one way or the other - just a mass of discordant colour. No attempt made to set them off and on closer look I'd probably be disappointed for one reason or another - no scent perhaps, straggly bush - an vivid orange rose beside it to repel me further.

Have you visited Ashcombe.

I really love the idea - something I would do if I had the soil/water and a more rose congenial climate. The vegie garden within the circle - will you plant straight in the ground or in raised beds.

Sounds like great fun - wonderful to be able to plan something on that scale.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon May 05, 2008 11:03 am

It is a half baked idea - typical of me. Start something, jump to something else, go off on a tangent, come back to the original idea and change my mind 3 times, finish the project and wish I'd done it differently - LOL
Which is WHY - I want to give it time to gel, and do it properly first time. I think the paths need to be at least 800 and the beds the same. They don't need to be "walk 2 at a time, side by side" as the idea is to walk the maze. It will be a simple, circular puzzle maze.
I'm thinking red roses, and they only need be waist high. Red because my husband likes them and we don't have many. He has also discovered the joys of photography and discovered that some roses bloom continually through late Spring, Summer, Autumn and some even into winter. So he says - plant lots of roses. Also red because we both enjoyed the wonderful display of red roses at Adelaide gardens in May last year.
Need to be a red rose of the quality of gelber engels - shiny healthy leaves, and lots of neat small, florabunda type blooms. The COULD be all the same rose, but I am loath to do that. Maybe each ring could be a different rose, and the paths could be blocked with a moveable tub or large pot of low box. That would allow for changing the pattern as I feel. Possibly low box hedging around the front of the paths, or even pacific coast irises, as they would be shaded well.
The floor of the maze will be eucy mulch. The edge of the beds I'm not sure of yet.
If the circles of roses are different varieties, and there are about 4 concentric gardens, then I could use 4 different varieties, with increasing heights, ending up with a nice weeping rose, or obekisk in the centre, or perhaps a weeping tree with a seat under it.
See the ideas just keep flowing. The final result can't possibly be as good as the picture i already have in my head :-)
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue May 06, 2008 5:25 am

Love the idea of red roses. Saw a formal laid out geometrically designed garden with them somewhere - a grand estate - not my cup of tea but the roses themselves were in their own small kidney shaped beds with a low edging of green - probably box. Green lawn and hedging always sets a red rose off I always think - that's what caught my eye.

But what about silver edging.

Do you have a tree in mind yet.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down