Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Romanesco cauliflower

3 posters

Go down

Romanesco cauliflower Empty Romanesco cauliflower

Post  Fran Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:26 am

My son mentioned eating this in Italy a earlier this year - liked it he said, which surprised me because he dislikes cauliflower unless well disguised in stew.

I presume it's a cold climate veggie and wondered if anyone is growing it. Is it heirloom?
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Romanesco cauliflower Empty Re: Romanesco cauliflower

Post  Blossom Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Fran,
I grow it every year. It is called cauliflower but is milder flavoured and actually more like broccoli although the curds are tighter. Depending on the source, it is often called Romanesco Broccoli or Calabrese Broccoli. We love it. It should grow in subtropical and tropical areas if planted now. Takes about 4 months. Eden seeds have supplies of seeds. Here's a collage of some Italian types I grew in 2007. The Romanesco is bottom right.

Romanesco cauliflower Broccollage
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Unusual looking - can't grow it this year - can't garden at all but want to make a list of heirloom vegetables to plant soon as I get on my feet. Will see what I can find out about growing it up here - thanks Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Fran, I find it one of the easier to grow caulies. Botanically, it is a cauliflower though many sell it as Romanesco Broccoli. I like the flavour too, kind of nutty sweet, if that makes sense. It's certainly an old variety and has been around in Italy for many years. Perhaps not an heirloom but certainly a heritage variety.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:50 am

Thanks - so plant autumn here for spring harvest - 80 days from seedling stage? - protection from frost - we get them down on the flats but they aren't severe - dolomite I suppose - soil here is acidic.

Discovered by chance I like cauli roasted with other vegetables on top of garlic. This variety doesn't crumble as easily they say so looking forward to trying it. How do you use yours.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:01 am

Because I try to reduce my carbs, I use cauliflower like mashed spuds - cook it and mash it! It works for me! It's also a great addition to Indian food which we mainly eat, so versatile curried with sweet potato and pumpkin.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down