Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick Potatoes

4 posters

Go down

Sick Potatoes Empty Sick Potatoes

Post  Wattle Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 pm

The crop of Sebago spuds certified seed have come out of the ground. Some are coming up with club leaves,like a boxing glove.
Also if I look closer I think that this is happening with some toms and capsicum. I cannot see any sign of infestation of any bugs
Anyone have the same prob?

Wattle

Back to top Go down

Sick Potatoes Empty Re: Sick Potatoes

Post  guzzigirl Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:42 pm

just because you can't see them doesn't mean bugs aren't there. something like red spider mite needs a magnifying glass to see them.

or you may have a soil borne problem, particularly if your tomatoes and capsicum are affected as well. Could be nematodes or something like that.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:46 pm

try looking at:
Potato Cyst Nematode
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:55 am

This happened to me some years back where I lived previously. Spuds in one particular spot came up with leaves as you describe. The following year tomatoes came up looking the same. I planted out that bed with something else entirely and it hasn't been used for Solanaceae since, as far as I know. I thought at first it might have been herbicide damage but that doesn't explain the tomatoes. It has to have been soil borne. I never did find out what caused it.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Wattle Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 am

Thanks all
I still have some seed left amd will plant in 4 weeks in another new bed .It will be interesting to see if the same happens.

Wattle

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 am

I got into the habit of planting spuds in fresh ground every time. It's easy enough to heap up some soil somewhere in a corner out of the way - box it in with whatever you have to hand - you can grow them in a hessian bag or anything deep like that.

Wish it was as easy with tomatoes - I grow too many but I do remove a lot of soil and replace with fresh before planting. An uncle who grew vegetables in his backyard taught me this - about the only thing I ever picked up about gardening as a child lol. His backyard was tiny and maybe he learnt the hard way. I have 5 in big pots at the moment - pots are easily emptied.

Good luck with them Wattle - let us know how you go.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:36 am

I haven't had this disease (Potato Cyst Nematode) to my knowledge, and by the description I hope I never get it.

I have enough trouble with the Colorado Potato Beetle, which can be picked off in a small patch, but large fields must be sprayed.

My potatoes are planted in a new area yearly, and I am a great believer in cultivating and letting the sun do its magic.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wattle Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 am

I think I have found the culprit to my problem. White Fly.
The strawberrys and beans have taken a beating, but thank goodness the infestation has passed and the new potatoes are healthy in the same bed.

Dad always had white fly issues on the coast. This is my first experience.

Wattle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down