Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola?

+2
Fran
Blossom
6 posters

Go down

Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola? Empty Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola?

Post  Blossom Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 am

"Dutch Cream" potato is not on the list of available certified potatoes as the DPI say it is the same as the registered variety Nicola. Dutch Cream has not been registered so you won't buy certified seed under that name - only Nicola. I have to say that I buy Dutch Creams though because I don't believe they are the same as Nicola. I gre both side by side and there is a difference. It's just beaurocracy that needs to have the pedigree before they will certify it and that means separating it from Nicola. All the Dutch people in Tassie grow Dutch Creams and say it originated in Holland whereas Nicola originated in Germany. However, I will be passing through Victoria on the way to South Australia in September and can bring Dutch Cream seed potatoes for anyone who can't get them. Loose travel is via Ballarat but basically wandering until Adelaide then on to Port Pirie and places around there. September is a good time to plant.

Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola? Potatoes
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola? Empty Re: Potatoes: Dutch Cream or Nicola?

Post  Fran Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:43 pm

Do you know - all I've ever grown myself are sebagos but next year, barring another broken bone, I will be trying a few different varieties.

Thanks for the info - I did know the waxy ones were great for potato salad but no good for baking and frying because they don't get crisp. Love King Edwards for roasting too - my BIL has grown them up on Mt Tamborine a few times.

That table is going to come in handy Blossom - might print it out and stick to the pantry door - thanks
Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:26 pm

This is the DPI list for Tassie and Vic, however I don;t see why most of them would grow OK in Qld. I grew Sebago last year but wasn't impressed - a good yield but very ordinary. Not many of them grown here commercially. Nicola is grown extensively these days replacing the Kennebecs that were grown mainly for McDonalds chips! Russet Burbank are another really good spud. This year I'm putting in Pink Eye, Dutch Creams and King Edwards. I might see if I can get some Russet Burbank again since I am using a big bed. I love growing spuds - they are a great intro to gardening for the kids and even though I don't eat many myself, I prefer to give them to the girls. I grow Dutch Creams particularly for Kim, Amy's husband who is of Dutch heritage so only wants DC's!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lorraine Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am

hi blossom we are going to south aussie in september too,(with the caravan club to the barossa)possibly for about 2 weeks so might be able to work something out re the taters
i did notice yesterday that safeway had what they called dutch creams but they didnt look anything like what the dpi and other sites say they look like

we have kipflers growing here ,they are nice too almost grow like weeds here nearly all year round ,even got some growing now
lorraine
lorraine
lorraine
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:24 am

Yes a sebago isn't much to write home about but easy enough to grow. I don't eat much potato either but t make potato bake regularly for DH and like them in a stew or for soup.

Prefer sweet potatoes - love the purple ones for baking - satisfies my hunger for starch Smile

Lorraine - never mind the potatoes - how many bottles of plonk will you be taking back home from the Barossa Very Happy
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:48 am

Not sure but I think around the 15th - we have to get the car converted to gas first and it has to have a rune up before we leave. That's not happening until 27th August. But I'll be happy to bring some spuds to Victoria. Let me know before the time if you're going to be there still. We are just wandering for a few weeks.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lorraine Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 am

ok will find out exact dates and let you know ok

fran shhhh
ok we will be bringing some(cases ??) home

I havent been over to the barossa for years and years and trust me you dont want to know how much came home with us last time
lorraine
lorraine
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  robbin Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi Blossom, going to SA from Ballarat? Probably pass through Beaufort? Call and have a cuppa. We're just 2 miles off the Western Highway, main route to Adelaide.
Same for you Lorraine, if you travel our way. Be great to say hello in person.

I usually get our seed potatoes at a great little festival down in the Otways, guy there has a display of about 100 named varieties, and for $2 a bag I get them from him at the end of the day. Last year got Kiplers(sp?), Dutch Cream, Padrones, and King Edward.

Cheers, Penny.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Will do. At this stage I just want to go to Sovereign Hill, but having done the Great Ocean Road many times, we thought to go a different route. I'll look up Beaufort and see where it is! We have no real plans except to be away for 6 - 8 weeks and see the Eyre Peninsula - how we get there is in the lap of the gods! Will have more ideas nearer the time.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lorraine Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 am

hi penny have just sent you a pm ok
blossom are you taking your van ??and when you said the great ocean road was that in the van
we do go through beaufort or close by on our way over so wont be a prob , and we dont have to meet up with the club until the designated day
coming home will be open to suggestions as the club trip actually finishes in adelaide
lorraine
lorraine
lorraine
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I generally just buy a kilo or 2 of spuds from the greengrocers and plant them. They have dutch creams, kipflers, etc. What are the ones shaped like a kipfler but with a red flesh? Don't know all the names, but this is potatoe territory here and the common ones are cheap, so it is interesting to grow some of the less common ones. They like the same growing conditions as bearded iris, so often share the same bed.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Not taking the van this time. We've actually put it on the market but it hasn't sold yet. We are debating whether to buy another with a shower and loo. If it sells before September we might have a look at what's around on the mainland. We did the Great Ocean Road in our old Mobile Home and in the Van twice. Scary! Must look at the map and figure out which way to go. This is going to be a leisurely trip hopefully getting to some out of the way places. So the garden will be late this coming season ( except the spuds!). Will give you some idea nearer the time and we might be able to catch up for a vino or two. We'll be visiting Mad Gnome in SA - whether she wants us or not and might even stick the car on the train and head for Perth! Totally free of commitments.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm

My name was mentioned?

Yes, do come! Smile You are always welcome! Have a meal or five. A wine or ten. And I might show you my garden, too. Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 pm

It's on the plan - just a bit later than expected! A long way from potatoes!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 am

Back to potatoes.

We still have Pink Eyes in the ground. The plants have received quite a hammering the last few days with the fierce, icy wind. Might throw more pea straw over them.

There are more Pink Eyes sprouting in the pantry. Hmmm.... must prepare another bed for them.

Happy potato growing everyone! Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 am

I cracked and bought a 20kg bag of organic Dutch Cream. They are sooooooo nice! They are straight from the grower and I'm happy to support him. They are such versatile all-rounders, these DC.

The stems and greenery of the Pink Eyes in the ground are slowly going mushy. Must be the frosts now. I hope there are tons of potatoes in the ground, but I somehow doubt it. Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down