Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planting Horseradish

2 posters

Go down

Planting Horseradish Empty Planting Horseradish

Post  Guest Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 am

Planting Horseradish
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?RVJLF 5 October 2008 Planting Horseradish
(Armoracia rusticana, syn. Cochlearia armoracia)

Tow horseradish plants were placed in the ground to overwinter. These two plants were started from root shoots on the 19 July 2008 to give the plants a good start.

I was told that the root depth can be limited by placing a board in the bottom of the planting hole, so I am experimenting to see if this makes digging easier next year. I happen to have a few square foot spruce boards so used them.

The hole is about a foot deep with sand in the bottom, then the flat board, then a shovel full of compost, then back filled with good soil mixed with a bit of sand.

I use the small rototiller for mixing soil in the wheelbarrow, when required. It sure beats shoveling and the result is ideal.

Back to top Go down

Planting Horseradish Empty Re: Planting Horseradish

Post  Raymondo Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Good use of the rototiller. I haven't tried growing horseradish. Not sure what I'd do with it.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:39 am

Raymondo wrote:Good use of the rototiller. I haven't tried growing horseradish. Not sure what I'd do with it.
Try this.
https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net/edible-gardening-f2/horseradish-t549.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 am

My mother loves the taste of horseradish and had some growing in her garden - bit weedy though. You peel the root and put in the blender - hot - goes in sauce or gravy or dressings.

I don't like the flavour at all but became interested in horseradish teas. Found this
http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html#Horseradish

Horseradish
(preventative for fungal disease)
Penn State University announced in 1995 that minced horseradish holds promise in decontaminating wastewater and now says it may clean contaminated soils as well!
Penn State's center for Bioremediation and Detoxification reports that minced horseradish combined with hydrogen peroxide can completely remove chlorinated phenols and other contaminants found in industrial wastes. Experiments involve applying the mixture directly to tainted soils or growing horseradish in contaminated soil and roto-tilling the roots just before applying hydrogen peroxide!

The cleansing properties of horseradish have been known for more than a decade, however creating a purified form has been far too expensive. This method has proved to be just as effective, but at a fraction of the cost!

Horseradish Tea: You can also make a tea from horseradish roots to use as a preventative spray for fungal diseases. This is especially useful against brown rot in apple trees. The white flesh of the horseradish root also contains significant amounts of calcium, magnesium and vitamin C.
To make: Process one cup of roots in food processor till finely chopped. Combine this with 16 ounces of water in a glass container and let soak for 24 hours. Strain liquid, discard the solids. Now mix the liquid with 2 quarts of water and spray.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:03 am

I bet you'd need a mask Fran while blending the horseradish! I wonder how it would go as a an antifungal agent for things like powdery mildew.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:08 am

Sure do need a mask LOL. Mum puts on a pair of sunglasses and chews bread - would you believe - puts a fan on. I chew bread when peeling hot onions too LOL
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:02 am

Fran wrote:Sure do need a mask LOL. Mum puts on a pair of sunglasses and chews bread - would you believe - puts a fan on. I chew bread when peeling hot onions too LOL

Just do the blending outdoors. Simple and practical.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down