Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering

Go down

Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering Empty Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering

Post  Guest Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:10 am

Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?OMLUB 28 September 2008. Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering

I cleared most of my own compost bins, and spread on various beds throughout the yard. Sometimes I have cleared the compost bins in the Spring, but it is often frozen when the time comes, and spreading must be delayed, hence doing it in the Fall. Also, fall season spreading gives the compost some time to filter into the bed.

Back to top Go down

Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering Empty Re: Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering

Post  siri Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:21 am

Here we tend to grow vegies on during the winter. It seems strange telling you that, because in Victoria the main growing season is Spring through to the end of Autumn, and we envy those in Northern NSW and Queensland, who can grow tomatoes and pumpkins through the winter months. I find it hard to rest a bed, but made a point this year of sowing a large veg bed to green manure. It is ready to be turned in now.
Spreading compost? I suppose I do that all year, as the need arises, but most of it happens in the dead of winter, in prep for Spring plantings.
VIvia la difference!
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering Empty Re: Preparing Garden Beds for Over-wintering

Post  Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:55 am

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?GAHCL 29 September 2008 Fall Garden Preparations
Various yard work was completed today preparing the garden area for the Winter sleep. The ground cherry vines were pull, and shredded, time one hour. A load of wood chips were picked up at a city park and stored for Spring use, time two hours. The last of the tomato vines were pulled and shredded, time one hour.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down