New Garden Bed Prepared

Go down

New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Guest on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:03 am

New Garden Bed Prepared.
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?SXJII 22 September 2008 New Garden Bed Prepared.

The center bed was enlarged by about 100 square feet. The method: Sod removed, area hand spaded, chunks rototilled, sod put through chipper/shredder to kill grass roots, compost added and mixed, wood chips added and mixed, planted in double cut red annual clover. The bed should be in excellent condition for planting in the Spring of 2009. Total labour time after sod was removed was 4 hours and 10 minutes.
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?GXGKG 21 September 2008 Removing Sod

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Fran on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 am

Very efficient - I imagine the clover is a fast grower and would protect the soil through your coming winter too. Does your garden frost badly?
avatar
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Posts : 506
Join date : 2008-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Guest on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:51 am

Fran wrote:Very efficient - I imagine the clover is a fast grower and would protect the soil through your coming winter too. Does your garden frost badly?

Frost is the wrong term. The soil freezes solid for about a foot depth, depending upon the moisture content and severity of the weather before snow cover is present. We also have some thawing some winters, which can be the cause of some plant root damage, through the soil heaving from the weather cycles.

The clover fixes nitrogen, and will be winter killed, and rototilled into the soil in the Spring. Often it is completely frozen off, but it will have done it job depending how much growth takes place before freeze-up.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  meriash on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 am

I love your garden.

But it is such a different climate and way of gardening to what I have here where we were very surprised to get 2 small frosts this winter, really made us wonder what it would be like having frost like yours and snow to top it up.

You must have a very short gardening season,
Thanks for your pictures.
Marion
avatar
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Posts : 51
Join date : 2008-05-02
Location : Central Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  The Estate on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:31 am

Excellent work cheers
avatar
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Posts : 447
Join date : 2008-03-27
Location : Melbourne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Guest on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 am

meriash wrote:I love your garden.

But it is such a different climate and way of gardening to what I have here where we were very surprised to get 2 small frosts this winter, really made us wonder what it would be like having frost like yours and snow to top it up.

You must have a very short gardening season
,
Thanks for your pictures.
Marion

Growing frost free days without concern is about 110 days from 1 June to about 15 of September, but of course, many plants can grow in spite of a some frost. Some years I plant about 15 of April and take my chances. If no severe frost is encountered, one can get a great jump on the season, but it can and often does go the other way.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Fran on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:52 pm

So winter cuts it back and then you dig it in soon as the ground has thawed - interesting.
I dig green manure in while still sappy - winters here in the subtropics are not really so cold. Can't remember when I had a frost in the garden but there has always been the odd frost out on the low flats away from the house. You can create a microclimate in a house garden easily enough here in the subtropics with tanks and trees, shrubbery, water features.
avatar
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Posts : 506
Join date : 2008-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:41 am

Fran wrote:So winter cuts it back and then you dig it in soon as the ground has thawed - interesting.
I dig green manure in while still sappy - winters here in the subtropics are not really so cold. Can't remember when I had a frost in the garden but there has always been the odd frost out on the low flats away from the house. You can create a microclimate in a house garden easily enough here in the subtropics with tanks and trees, shrubbery, water features.

I find the green manure vegetation only wraps around the rototiller blades, so I prefer to dig it in after the vegetation dies off by frost, or if some survives I whack it off with a string weed wacker. Ploughing under would be ideal, but alas, such a device doesn't exist for the small home gardener.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Fran on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:19 am

My beds aren't big enough to worry with anything mechanical. Didn't realize I'd said frost - meant freeze of course. Know a lot of North America freezes LOL
avatar
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Posts : 506
Join date : 2008-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Garden Bed Prepared

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum