Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pigment power in carrots

2 posters

Go down

pigment power in carrots Empty pigment power in carrots

Post  Fran Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:57 am

I was looking for purple carrots and found this article about pigments - according to the carrot museum - http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/maroon.html - carrots weren't always orange

More recently,( Philipp Simon ) recognized the potential nutritional value of the vegetable's other pigments. Now Simon studies yellow, orange, red, purple, and white carrots. Yellow carrots contain xanthophylls, pigments similar to beta carotene, which help develop healthy eyes and may prevent lung and other cancers. Red carrots contain lycopene, a pigment also found in tomatoes and watermelon; lycopene helps prevent heart disease and some cancers including prostate cancer. Purple carrots contain anthocyanins, pigments that act as powerful antioxidants, grabbing and holding on to harmful free radicals in the body. Anthocyanins also help prevent heart disease by slowing blood clotting. White carrots lack pigment, but may contain other health-promoting substances called phytochemicals.

http://www.pomesmart.com/smart/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=7
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

pigment power in carrots Empty Re: pigment power in carrots

Post  Raymondo Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I've tried purple and yellow, both yum. Now for white and red!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 am

Shame we've been disconnected from all this knowledge about food. I regret I didn't learn more earlier on - I might have made more of an attempt to grow heirlooms - think I missed out and so did my kids.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Couldn't agree more Fran. I intend making sure the school garden I'm working on has plenty of diversity so that kids see and taste as many different things as possible.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down