Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carrots zzzzzzz

2 posters

Go down

Carrots zzzzzzz Empty Carrots zzzzzzz

Post  siri Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Hubby came home to a garden bed covered in towels today. They are what we call dog towels. Don't ask me why.
I have never had much success with carrots, but I miss the ones my Dear Dad used to give us from his garden every year. I dug the bed and raked to a fine tilth, then broadcast a mix of 4 heritage varieties, plus parsnip and radish, mixed with sand to thin the seed. Raked over gently, and watered, then spread with the towels, and wet the towels thoroughly. Lastly a few sticks to keep the towels in place if they dry out. (very windy here today, but this are is protected). I now await the germination of many yummy munchy carrots :-)
Will take photos tomorrow. I was dead tired after my effort, and have just had a long snooze on the couch.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Carrots zzzzzzz Empty Re: Carrots zzzzzzz

Post  Fran Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:27 am

It'll be worth it - eating carrot straight out of the ground is one of my favourite things. Grate and dress with real orange juice or trick I learnt from somewhere - forget - cut them up and marinate in lemon juice - add a pinch of sea salt if you like.

We have dog towels too - pensioned off from the linen cupboard Laughing
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down