Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you doing this weekend?

+2
Fran
Blossom
6 posters

Go down

What are you doing this weekend? Empty What are you doing this weekend?

Post  Blossom Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 am

The 7th and 8th June are good days for planting leafy vegetables, but I don't have any plans to put more in, so I've got 4 standard roses which were a gift from a person on another forum, plus a load of red, white and pink Nerines, orange and yellow iris to finish planting. And a couple of DAvid Austins that I sneaked into the trolley at the Big W.
Then I'm going to try out my FLAME THROWER! This is a gas operated weeding wand that will hopefully get rid of all those pesky weeds. I suspect there may be a bit of "you are a woman so I will do it" dialogue Razz We bought it in the hope of saving my back and Bob is already half way into inventing a new improved microwave version! I'll tackle the plot for the next planting of peas - Blue Bantam and prepare the spud bed.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What are you doing this weekend? Empty Re: What are you doing this weekend?

Post  Fran Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:38 am

Tell me about the flame thrower Blossom - are they easy and safe to use I mean.

Love to be planting greens - love to be planting anything - perfect weather for it too - but I am having a quiet weekend with a busy week ahead cleaning out the pot ghetto - have to wait on DH to dig some holes which he has promised to do over the next week after he rehangs a gate and breaks in a young colt Rolling Eyes

Once that's done I will be on a mission to sort out the perennial/rose bed and weed - everything is getting away after the rain - a flame thrower might come in handy. I have visitors coming for the schools holidays and want everything looking its best.

Was in Bunnings yesterday and noticed the first of the bagged roses were in - did not get a close look at what they were - in too much of a hurry.

So which DAs did you buy.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

It's called a Hot Devil Weed Killer. It has a long wand with an attachment to screw in a Butane gas can - aerosol size and an on/off switch. It works on the principle that the intense flame boils the liquid in the plant and it dies by drying up. It does say large weeds may need a second application. I tried it, it is easy to use, but you have to be careful not to set fire to dried straw and bark or your own feet! Not to be used on total fire ban days. The weed doesn't burn up completely, you hold the tip of the flame about 15 cm away from the weed, and as soon as it starts to wilt, move on to the next one. I'll give them a couple of days and see if they dry up. It operates at 1300 degrees C which is hot! It's easy to carry, but I'd think you have to be careful around other flowers etc in case the get heated up too. I did a whole veggie bed and paths without having to bend once!!! It was $65 in Mitre10 - not cheap but cheaper than poison and certainly not so backbreaking.

DA's I bought were Lordly Oberon and The Friar. I also got Tequila Sunrise, Evelyn Fison, Julia's Rose as standards and Apricot Nectar and the Fairy as bush roses from Dee. Now I just have to wait on my Treloars order and find a place to fit them!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:11 am

Sounds like it might be just what I need - I googled for a supplier here in Qld but can't find one - maybe there are other brands - will have to chase them down.

Love to see your LO in flower - DA doesn't recommend it but apparently it does well in the warmer climates - tall so the name suits it. I've always wanted to see it because of its bloodline - Chaucer, Constance Spry among them. Don't know The Friar either. I've grown Apricot Nectar and The Fairy. The Fairy is perfect habitat for small birds - very prickly.

Lucky you.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:08 am

affraid I would end up burning the house down Laughing
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  robbin Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:51 am

The Estate wrote:affraid I would end up burning the house down Laughing

Me too. I will be burning off some stuff this weekend, dead wattle dropping its bits over my potted iris, twiggy bits off the wallflowers. Build a nice little fire and keep stoking it with dead bits. Put the good kindling aside for the heater.

And planting lettuce, silverbeet and spinach.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Planted out more onions, Globruna and Creamgold, Ethiopian mustard, actually tastes like a very mild cabbage, Green Glaze collards and Ruby cabbage. My strawberry order from Diggers arrived, Cambridge Rival, Kunowase and Hokowase ... yum ..., but they'll have to wait till Monday or Tuesday before going into pots.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:14 pm

I will make a new pst tomoz. of what is really hap. here Suspect
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Belladonna Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I have just finished 2 full shifts and this morning I did a 7am-1pm shift .i worked alone as the other PCA did not show up no explanation phone off ect. They rang around but no one so I did it but now I am so stuffed I can barely walk and i have had to take something for the pain in my legs and back which is gonna be sooooo much worse in the morning which i am pooped about coz I planned to spend my day off in the garden.Doesn't matter now its poring out anyways so probably will be still raining tomorrow but DGD just got gum boots and I am dying to let her have a go at puddles and we could squash a heap of snails together right thats it umbrellas.Ok got to go pain medication is working and I am too sleepy to type.
Belladonna
Belladonna
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry you're feeling lousy belladonna. Can I ask, what's a PCA and a DGD?

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Belladonna Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm

PCA personal care attendant
DGD dear grand daughter
Belladonna
Belladonna
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Ahhh...
PCA = hard work
DGD = delight, most of the time.
I'm off to see the grandees this weekend. Can't wait!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down