Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'delicata' pumpkin

3 posters

Go down

'delicata' pumpkin Empty 'delicata' pumpkin

Post  Fran Sun May 11, 2008 8:15 am

Was trying to find some info on the heirloom pumpkin 'delicata' and found this site - love it.

http://www.thelostseed.com.au/index.htm

Is anyone growing 'delicata' - can you tell me about it. The blurb suggests it keeps well and is prolific - sounds good to me if as sweet and tasty as suggested.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

'delicata' pumpkin Empty Re: 'delicata' pumpkin

Post  robbin Sun May 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks for the site Fran. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Penny.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun May 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Fran, Delicata is one of a small group of pumpkins called, rather imaginatively I think, the Delicata Group. As well as the variety Delicata itself there are others like Sugar Loaf, Honey Boat and Sweet Dumpling. They all share certain features - particular skin patterns and colours and the same sweet dense flesh. They belong to the very large Pepo group along with the acorn squashes, of which some say Delicatas are a part, marrow, zucchini and so on. I've tried Honeyboat and Sweet Dumpling, both lovely pumpkins, though Sweet Dumpling is a bit on the small side for me. I can't attest to their keeping qualities as they got eaten not long after harvest. They have thinner skins than Queensland Blue for example so I suspect they don't keep as well. But then you can keep a Queensland Blue for an inordinately long time.

In short, well worth a try.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 am

Thanks Raymondo - just want to try a few different ones for a change - going through the list. Qld blues have great flavour but haven't grown any for yonks because they're so hard to cut. But they do store well like you said and I should start growing them again really.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down