Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pumpkin

2 posters

Go down

The Pumpkin Empty The Pumpkin

Post  Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 pm

The Pumpkin
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?KYLKS 7 October 2008. Utilizing the Pumpkin.

The pumpkin depicted is the Connecticut Field Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo), which is the common pumpkin grown in North America.

Being interested about the use of pumpkins as decorations for Halloween, and then seeing them thrown out, I decided to see just what one could do with this vegetable. Apparently the fruit is contains many nutrients. These picture depict my minor efforts.

When ripe, the pumpkin can be boiled, baked, steamed, or roasted. Cooked in the pressure cooked the pumpkin is basically steamed in it own juices. The mush can be formulated into many desserts like pie and a various loafs. The seeds and juice were also utilized.

Back to top Go down

The Pumpkin Empty Re: The Pumpkin

Post  siri Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:40 am

I like to use baked pumpkin, sliced in turkish bread, with tomato, onion, spinach, and riccotta cheese. Toasted in a sandwhich press - very yummy!
A large pumpkin makes a nice mouse house too. The biggest one I ever grew had a front door, and a circular passage way where the mamma mouse ate through the seeds during her pregnancy, and finally a protected little nest for the baby mice, and still plenty to eat. A bit like a gingerbread cottage.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:39 pm

siri wrote:
A large pumpkin makes a nice mouse house too. The biggest one I ever grew had a front door, and a circular passage way where the mamma mouse ate through the seeds during her pregnancy, and finally a protected little nest for the baby mice, and still plenty to eat. A bit like a gingerbread cottage.
Cheers, Jan

awww, how sweet Very Happy must have thought she was in mouse heaven Laughing
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down