Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hedgerow trees

3 posters

Go down

Hedgerow trees Empty Hedgerow trees

Post  siri Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 am

I thought you might be interested in my hedgerow project. I haven't got very far yet, as the boundary fence is still to be built, but I had the area deep ripped last week, just before the rain. I have 4 rows of ripping about 1m apart inside the fenceline along the back of the block and up part of one side. I intend to plant mostly edible trees - hazels, crab apples, plums, old roses that produce hips, hawthorns, probably a chestnut and a walnut. The birds, possums and ourselves will share the bounty. I have to move my chook run so I'm thinking the corner of this area might be a good place for them, and let them free range occasionally when the fruit is dropping, to help control pests, and help fertilise the ground.
I want to find some unusual fruits suitable to this area, and have been consulting the net and books. A couple on my list are edible rowan, and Amelanchier.
All input is welcome, and also advice as to how to prepare the ground. The soil here is a heavy clay loam, and the area flat and flood prone - maybe, if it ever rains enough Crying or Very sad
It has to be a low maintenance area, and I have masses of pea straw to mulch it all with.
Cheers, S
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Hedgerow trees Empty Re: Hedgerow trees

Post  Raymondo Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Great project. A self-fertile almond might work and of course various berries. If you didn't want rampant I'd plant the native raspberry rather than European cultivars. Kunzea pomifera (muntry berry) and Austromyrtus dulcis (midyim berry) would both work as understorey. A mulga wattle for the seeds. Just thoughts.

Last edited by Raymondo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:55 am

Interesting suggestions raymondo, and these, along with feijoas and a few other evergreen non natives, might help me to blend evenly from the fruiting hedge to the native section at the far side of the block. I will do some research on those you have suggested.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 pm

I called in to Melton Bunnings on my way home from Melbourne yesterday and lo and behold, they had the Kunzeas that you mentioned, for 11.98 each. I also bought a long covetted Cherry Guava - 1m tall. Beautiful! I had one at Castlemaine in my old garden, just starting to bear fruit (yum yum!) but it didn't want to be moved, and then the new people ruined my lovely garden.
They also had goji fruit - little plants for 13.98 I think it was. There were about 30 and they were all losing their leaves and looking very stressed and on their way out. I would have bought one if I thought it had any chance of living.
They had lovely little Macadamia nut trees and 2 mangos. Ha - in Central Vic. What a joke! I was almost tempted Shocked
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm

will look great when it is a few years old cheers
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Thu May 01, 2008 3:08 pm

A worthwhile stop-off! Would love to be able to grow cherry guavas but our winters are just too harsh and I'm in a low cold part of town. We had -6°C (-9°C at ground level) on Tuesday night ... brrrr... My grevilleas are now sporting burnt black bits instead of flowers!
Goji plants (I prefer the older name - wolfberry) are easy to grow from seed. I scraped some from the dried fruit you buy in healthfood stores and sowed it last spring. Most germinated. There are wolfberry plants all over town now! I don't anything about them except that they're perennial and tough.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Fri May 02, 2008 4:09 am

Are they deciduous? Shocked
Maybe they weren't dying, just deciduating? They didn't look healthy though. Overwatered i would say. Might go visit the health food shop next week Very Happy
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down