Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Figs................

4 posters

Go down

Figs................ Empty Figs................

Post  Blossom Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm

I successfully grew some cuttings of fig trees and each has rooted and put out a couple of branches, leaves and some with little figs. I have a Brown Turkey, Preston's Prolific, Black Genoa, White Genoa, Archipal.

Got a question or three:
1. Should I overwinter them in the hothouse and let them get stronger or put them out in position? We only get a couple of light frosts a year and intend to espalier them.

2. Five is far more than we'd need so I'll be giving one to each daughter . If you had you choice of which to keep which would you keep?

3. Do any of them need pollinators before I make a mistake?

4. Are any of them not worth growing on?

Thanks - I had a great tree in South Africa that never stopped fruiting, but haven't grown any from scratch.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Figs................ Empty Re: Figs................

Post  Mad Gnome Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:34 am

I planted quite a few cuttings (that had rooted) late last winter. But before that they were in their pots outside. Never in a protected spot. So, I'd say plant them so that they can soak up all the winter rains.

Mine did really well until the extremes of summer hit. I lost 3 little trees. Thank goodness I still have 3 that are doing well.

I'd definitely keep the Preston's Prolific and Archipal, cause I think they are the early ones. Then maybe the White Genoa which is supposed to be mid-season? Can't remember.

I can't help you with pollinators, but we have 1 White Genoa and that doesn't need a pollinator.

I think ALL figs are worth growing, but I am probably biassed as I really enjoy figs.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:45 pm

don't think you need worry about pollinators because the bit we eat is actually the flower body, not the fruit.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:57 pm

A question for you clever gardeners..I would love to plant a fig tree but sadly haven't really got room left in the garden..however, I do have an area behind our shed which gets good sunshine etc..am sure I have read that you can actually train them to spread over a wall (esparliered..sic) ..has anyone heard or tried this with fruit trees??
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Go for it!

I have seen fig tree espaliered. Can't find the bookmarks right now. But it works. I will do mine this winter or next, too.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum