Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphyllum

4 posters

Go down

Epiphyllum Empty Epiphyllum

Post  Mad Gnome Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 am

...or Orchid Cactus. I tasted the fruit of this cactus a week ago and it was absolutely delicious. The colour was stunning, too! Dark red/purple with little black seeds, a bit like a kiwi in that respect. Taste? Perfumed, came to my mind.

Is anyone growing this cactus? I have potted up 2 plants and they are thriving so far. Do I protect them from frost? Or can I plant them out and let them battle it out with light frosts in winter?

I'm thinking of building a little rock garden - with edible cacti. Is that feasible? I mean, are there enough edible cacti and succulents around? I haven't thought about this seriously yet. Just tossing ideas to and fro. Smile

Just found this link with information on cultivation. Just in case anybody was interested. :)http://home.iprimus.com.au/nola_steve/Pages/cultivation.html

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Epiphyllum Empty Re: Epiphyllum

Post  Scarecrow Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Mad Gnome
This is interesting...they certainly would take less water! Smile

I only know of the Prickly Pear (noxious weed), Warrigal Spinach, another succulent called Aptinia?? (that Diggers says is edible) and some of the Pigfaces.

You made me investigate this further...a Google search found this link for Native Succulent Plants...further Googling is required now for identification of those names! Rolling Eyes
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

http://scarecrowsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Fascinating! How did you come across these fruits Mad Gnome? Is it a particular species?
Interesting link Scarecrow, thanks. And it's Aptenia cordifolia aka Baby Sun Rose or Ice Plant, from South Africa and one of the hardiest plants I've come across.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I've always felt that native edibles, bush tucker is a sadly neglected area of food source in Australia. The succulents are fascinating. Thanks for bringing this up, Gnome. I love the look of succulents but have only every grown them for their decorative qualities. Now I'm going to do some further research. Of course, what we can get in Tasmania leaves much to be desired. I did notice Plants Plus had a range of new succulents in the other day, so I might check them out and see what is edible.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:59 am

Ray, our kind neighbour let us try this fruit. She knows we are keen gardeners, and she knows I am interested in anything edible. Show me a plant - and I may be intrigued - tell me it's edible, and I'm totally rapt!

It's a pink flowering Orchid Cactus. There are other varieties around, red flowering, etc.

She grows hers in a pot along a brick wall. It's frost protected - even tomatoes grow there in winter!

Blossom, I agree with you on bush tucker. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about bush tucker that we could grow at our place. So far I have Kangaroo Apple, which is a very pretty plant, gorgeous yellow fruit, but nothing special really. I saved seeds, so if anybody would like to try that, send me a PM. Should probably put that in the seed exchange section. I shall do so later.

Muntries. Bought a plant and will have to find a suitable spot for it. I have never tried the berries but am intrigued, as the description sounds great.

Ooops... getting carried away. More later. Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarecrow Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 am

Mad Gnome wrote:
Blossom, I agree with you on bush tucker. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about bush tucker that we could grow at our place. So far I have Kangaroo Apple, which is a very pretty plant, gorgeous yellow fruit, but nothing special really. I saved seeds, so if anybody would like to try that, send me a PM. Should probably put that in the seed exchange section. I shall do so later.

Muntries. Bought a plant and will have to find a suitable spot for it. I have never tried the berries but am intrigued, as the description sounds great.

Ooops... getting carried away. More later. Smile

Don't mind you getting carried away Mad Gnome it's a very interesting subject! Laughing

Re the Kangaroo Apple
Have you tried the fruit yet Mad Gnome? They aren't the greatest tasting...

I've heard that the Brookmans at The Food Forest make a chutney with the fruit but that's about the only time I've heard of much being done with it!

Are you aware that these plants are quite toxic?
Only the ripe fruit is edible and the foliage is quite dangerous to stock (so the farmers around here say).
Alanna Moore's Backyard Poultry - Naturally book has a profile on the plant and she says:
Seedlings are rarely harmed by foraging birds, because the leaves contain repellents.

also
A word of warning: use kangaroo apple plant sparingly. Some of my birds appear to have been hormone affected. The hens have started to produce only female progeny and 2 warring tom turkeys, who started eating the fruit in a big way, decided to stop fighting and go sit on the nest with the hens!

Just thought I'd let you know that in case you didn't. Cool

They are pretty plants but fairly short lived and blow over easily. Also self seed a lot...that's what the local farmers are afraid of I think. They destroy any they find on their land No

I'll be interested to hear how the Muntries do.
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

http://scarecrowsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:51 am

Scarecrow, I agree about the fruit. And I knew about them being toxic. They are at a spot where none of our animals can get at them, even if they tried their hardest.

Have you ever been to The Food Forest? I'd love to go to their open days one day. But I always seem to miss their dates.

I haven't planted the Muntries yet, may do so the coming week. We had a really good soaking (41mm this morning) and it'll be good to plant out things soon.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum