Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A visit to the Botanical Gardens

+4
guzzigirl
Fran
Scarecrow
Blossom
8 posters

Go down

A visit to the Botanical Gardens Empty A visit to the Botanical Gardens

Post  Blossom Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Here I am in Pete's Patch. It is in fact quite small, I was impressed by the lack of weeds but them there are a lot of gardeners to take care of it. Much of the produce seemed to have been picked and gaps filled in with oak leafed lettuce. His leeks were great though (sniff). I do believe that we all do our gardens equally well.
Here's me doing my show!
A visit to the Botanical Gardens P1010748
This is just outside the patch where rows of brassicas line the side of the garden. A visit to the Botanical Gardens P1010752
The rest of the gardens were spectacular. Here's just one of the 50 odd shots I took of the trees.
A visit to the Botanical Gardens P1010775
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A visit to the Botanical Gardens Empty Re: A visit to the Botanical Gardens

Post  Scarecrow Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Hey Blossom
I'm sure you would do as good a job as Pete. Laughing

The garden looks wonderful!
He often says that it is only the size of a normal back yard garden. It does look big on TV.
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

http://scarecrowsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 am

Visited it last February - loved it all but particularly the trees - love to see them now in their autumn colours. The siting of it near the water was inspired. Driving in over the bridge for the first time I was wondering how I'd find it but there it was in front of me.

There was a lot crammed into Pete's Patch but everything looked exactly as I expected it to. Wish I had those gardeners here right now. Wonder why all the lettuce - must sell it do they.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:23 am

I got the feeling that they were planted to fill in gaps - more for decorative effect because there would have been over a hundred plants all the same size - I'm not sure if they sell the produce, some of the carrots were so overgrown even a horse would have trouble eating them and stuff was going to seed. I suppose it provides lots of compost. I grew it last year and one head of lettuce goes a long long way!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm

Blossom wrote:I got the feeling that they were planted to fill in gaps - more for decorative effect because there would have been over a hundred plants all the same size - I'm not sure if they sell the produce, some of the carrots were so overgrown even a horse would have trouble eating them and stuff was going to seed. I suppose it provides lots of compost. I grew it last year and one head of lettuce goes a long long way!

Pete has said on the show that they give it away, and I have a feeling they have a shop too.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:51 am

great pics, glad you all had a great time sunny
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:15 am

some of the carrots were so overgrown even a horse would have trouble eating them and stuff was going to seed.

When we had the GE Hobart Hoedown in February the patch was looking overgrown and neglected as well - I suspect that during the summer when they're not filming they just let it go. I'm not sure how much they give away, but I've never seen any produce for sale. I suspect that the overgrown stuff just goes into the compost bin.

He often says that it is only the size of a normal back yard garden. It does look big on TV.

Well... the rotation beds themselves would fit in a moderate sized backyard, but the veggie area is actually larger than the rotation beds (all the fruit trees and berry bushes extend the garden and the surrounding beds have also been planted out) and then there's the glasshouse, so the whole edible garden area would be maybe 500sq mtrs?

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucky1 Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 am

Great photos...... yes they do have a shop (from what I was told) and they $$$$ goes back into the patch.
Lucky1
Lucky1
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://luckysduckfarm.blogspot.com/  http://myknittingbox.blogsp

Back to top Go down

Post  veg gardener Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:43 pm

very nice

veg gardener

http://veggardeners.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down