Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broad Beans

5 posters

Go down

Broad Beans Empty Broad Beans

Post  Wattle Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:04 am

G'day all

You may remember i asked a question on broad beans a few months ago on ausgarden, when they looked like not making it through the winter.
They have, and now I need to know how big the pods get before I pick them, and next how to cook and eat them

Wattle

Back to top Go down

Broad Beans Empty Re: Broad Beans

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 am

Don't let them get too big. Pick them rather young, when they have little 'seeds'. Then boil them until tender - they won't need long. Toss in some dressing - lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, freshly chopped herbs. Toss. Eat.
When you pick them young, the skin around the seeds is very thin and they are very tender. The longer you wait, the thicker the skin around the seeds and you have to peel that off.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Broad Beans Empty Broad Beans

Post  Wattle Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:38 am

Thank you
They are the size of a normal massey pea now so I will pick as they grow.

Wattle

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:29 am

Hi all, I have another broadbean question. This is my first time growing these - they're about as tall as me and have heaps of small beans. Unfortunately I'm going to pull them out either this weekend or next because they're occupying the bed where the sweetcorn is going to go. I'm not sure I'll do much with the beans - I'll try some of the small ones whole (like greenbeans) and I threw a few of the shelled seeds into a minestrone, but I'm not fussed about not using them as I mainly grew the crop as green manure.

My question is this: can I use the stalks for mulch? I'm guessing it would be as nice as peastraw, even though the stalks are much thicker. Has anyone done this? I'm trying to decide whether to use it dry or green and whether to use the stalks whole or try to chop them up.

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:13 am

Jaxster, what I do is cut the stems off at ground level and leave the roots in the ground. This is where the little nitrogen fixing nodules are. I then plant whatever I'm planting that will enjoy the nitrogen. I shred the stems ( you can run over with the lawn mower, but I have a shredder ) and use them as mulch. They are excellent and will break down quite quickly if chopped up enough. Like pea litter, they add a lot of nutrient to the soil as well as organic bulk. I'll be doing the same with peas next week. Go for it!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks Blossom - I'll give it a go. Do you shred the stalks green or dry them first?

I'm expecting great things out of my corn this year - not only with the nitrogen from the broadbeans, but I also put some charred wood from the fireplace into the patch (a la Peter Cundall's experiment last year in the Botanic Gardens).

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:13 am

Yes - cool idea Blossom. I only read about that recently and will certainly do that this year. I believe you then plant brassicas?
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down