Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappointing Passionfruit

5 posters

Go down

Disappointing Passionfruit Empty Disappointing Passionfruit

Post  Blossom Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:17 am

I just pulled these off before I got told I was in the way of the workman. I must say I am very disappointed in these fruit. While there are plenty of them. they are small, not very juicy and the taste is bland to say the least. We were debating whether to pull it out as it is in an area where we want to do the new retaining wall and I think the decision is made. I'll plant the old fashioned Nellie Kelly in another place - at least they taste like passionfruit. I will probably pick another 6 baskets of these - no idea what to do with them. It just goes to show that 'new' grafted plants are not always an improvement on the old. Disappointing Passionfruit Passionfruit08640x428
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Disappointing Passionfruit Empty Re: Disappointing Passionfruit

Post  Stecranat Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm

They might be bland etc....but they do look good in that basket. Very Happy ..I got all excited last week when I discovered my first passionfruit flowers (2) ...unhappy now though as they both appear to have disappeared into thin air & have left no fruit behind...once had a beautiful "Nellie Kellie" until my neighbour decided he didn't like the vine growing on the fence.. Evil or Very Mad ...always been a good neighbour apart from that incident.
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Stecranat wrote:They might be bland etc....but they do look good in that basket. Very Happy ..I got all excited last week when I discovered my first passionfruit flowers (2) ...unhappy now though as they both appear to have disappeared into thin air & have left no fruit behind...once had a beautiful "Nellie Kellie" until my neighbour decided he didn't like the vine growing on the fence.. Evil or Very Mad ...always been a good neighbour apart from that incident.

probably too late now to set fruit, but sounds promising for Spring.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:03 pm

We have passionfruit vines growing over our chookyard fence - they are loaded and the fruit is larger than I'm used to - 2 tabs of pulp per fruit - yeah - don't believe it myself. Only get manure too but are in good soil and I suppose the chooks contribute. And we've had good rain this summer.

Think it's the best crop we've ever harvested - too sweet and tasty to use in curd or tarts - we are eating them straight off the vine Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 pm

Make wine! Lucky you Fran. We've been debating erecting a trellis to protect the peach and apricot trees from the East wind and I thought I'd get rid of this one and plant a Nellie Kelly. It would get more attention and feed as it would be on the edge of a growing bed.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Sat May 03, 2008 4:05 am

Hope I have done this the right way Laughing

We have had an amazing crop of big and full and sweet passionfruit up here too.
Must be a combination of the rains and a feed of Sulphate of potash they were given.

It is also their second year of growing and they seem to like to settle in for a season before giving of their best, at least that is what we found with them.

I have been making passionfruit butter to use them up.
Meri
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat May 03, 2008 4:28 am

Hi Meri - good to see you here. Well, the passionfruit has been sacrificed as we are renovating the area. I'll replace it with a Nelly Kelly somewhere up the back of the garden in spring. They grow so quickly. This looked promising, it was a graft but poor stuff. I love a squirt of passionfruit in my fruit salad etc. Passionfruit butter sounds mysterious. I made apple butter but I'm sure it's not the same thing. Recipe please!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum