Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish Onions dried for storage

Go down

Spanish Onions dried for storage Empty Spanish Onions dried for storage

Post  Guest Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:39 am

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?QDFKW 28 September 2008 Spanish Onions dried for storage.
Next year as the onions bulge from the ground they will be covered with mulch. I notice the tops stay green longer, hence possibly larger bulbs. As to exposing to Sun to reduce the sting, I have drawn no conclusions, and will pursue the matter no further.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?NSUQX Summary: Onion Growing experience.

Back to top Go down

Spanish Onions dried for storage Empty Re: Spanish Onions dried for storage

Post  siri Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:17 am

I used to always leave the tops on mine, and plait them together on a length of string (hayband) and hang them in a cool place for storage. Do you cover yours with the lid? Where do you store the container?
I stopped growing them when it became impossible to get seedling trays with more than 20 onion seedlings. They used to come in trays of 100. I notice they are starting to put out seedling trays with larger numbers now. Must have been around 60 in each of the trays of red odourless that I planted out recently. I know I should try them from seed myself, but I have a poor success rate with seeds in trays.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:32 am

siri wrote:I used to always leave the tops on mine, and plait them together on a length of string (hayband) and hang them in a cool place for storage. Do you cover yours with the lid? Where do you store the container?
I stopped growing them when it became impossible to get seedling trays with more than 20 onion seedlings. They used to come in trays of 100. I notice they are starting to put out seedling trays with larger numbers now. Must have been around 60 in each of the trays of red odourless that I planted out recently. I know I should try them from seed myself, but I have a poor success rate with seeds in trays.
Cheers, Jan

If there are a large quantity of onions, the onions are placed in a large mesh net sack, and stored in a dry place, usually in our furnace room. The few I have will be stored in an open container as shown. Removing the stalk probably insures drying is more complete. I have never woven the stalks, probably too lazy.

The stronger onions keep longer, but I prefer the Spanish for raw eating. I cut up and put a bit of white vinegar on the bowlful, and eat with my meal.

Usually the bulbs are planted in the early Spring as opposed to a flat of seedlings, but I do plant seedling sometimes, with good results.

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 am

I have never woven the stalks, probably too lazy.

It's probably a girl thing - LOL
when I say woven, you start with about 6 stems and the string, and tie them close to the onion, then you plat the string and the stems adding more onions as you go, so the onions end up tightly bunched along the string (like a string of garlic that you often see) They hang nicely like that, and you can cut the onions off and use as you need them. I think Aesthetics is a strong part of it, and also the need to keep them off the ground so they don't get gnawed on by vermin.

cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down