Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oncidium question for Marion

2 posters

Go down

oncidium question for Marion Empty oncidium question for Marion

Post  Fran Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 am

Hi again Marion Smile - are you getting some showers yet - overcast here and I better get cracking and finish mulching. Just wanted to ask you to have a look at this and tell me what you think. Remember that oncidium I bought potbound in a green painted pot. I think you saw it when I took it out - there was paint all over the roots LOL

Anyway I've been feeding it with organic pellets occasionally and it looks strong and healthy. Took a pic of one shoot but it's blurry sorry. It's in that orchid bark you buy - the bigger bits but I might have mixed in some cym mix too - can't remember. I did with one orchid but so far they all look alike to me LOL

Does it need more mix do you think? Can't remember what time of year you said it flowered either - do I just wait or give it a boost of something or ? Was it supposed to flower and I've missed out Sad

oncidium question for Marion Orchid10

oncidium question for Marion Orchid11
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

oncidium question for Marion Empty Re: oncidium question for Marion

Post  meriash Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am

hello Fran,
are you sure it is an oncidium ?

the new shoot looks a bit like it but the rest doesn't really.
can you take a whole pic of it please.

Oncidiums are flowering now, beautiful things with all the lovely little dancing ladies
Smile
marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am

Oops have the wrong orchid - told you they all looked alike. I think you identified this as a cattleya ? Now I'm confused - was it the cattleya in the green pot - must have been. The roots certainly look green LOL Will have a look at the other and see if I can find green paint on them.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 am

Marion forgot to say it was blowing a bit here yesterday afternoon and the darn thing was swinging a little - every pic I took was blurry. I'm not steady on my feet yet and can't position myself just where I want. Will have another go later. Went out earlier this morning but it's still too windy.

I have a pic I showed you when I first put it in the basket - the one you tentatively IDed for me - I know you told me I had a cattleya and that looks the likeliest candidate - the rest in the baskets are similar and are the dancing ladies. One flowered so I was able to show you it.

Did you get some rain ? - none here yet although there's been some about. I'm having breakfast and then will have to get back to the garden - finish mulching - inspecting pots, plant some more lettuce seedlings - and then have a garden bed to fix up if I'm still motivated. Pups have been romping around in it. Evil or Very Mad Very Happy Sad DH has promised to fence it off for me - Very Happy
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 am

Fran, we went to town this morning and there was water lying around the big Brahman bull at the roundabout going in to Rocky so they must have had a few dromps there, none to talk of here though it is still overcast, so fingers crossed.

You will get a flower on that new spike on the orchid, the barks looks o.k., at least the plants is looking happy.

there is better bark than that, but it is getting harder to get, I can get you some from the orchid society if you like,
lots are using the coir now for some orchids.
Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:38 am

Yes I didn't really want to use it but it was all I could find - held off for ages too. I was also wondered it had too much room and wind would disturb the roots but it's quite sheltered where it is - in a big blow I'd put them down on the ground among the ferns. So far so good. Would be great to see it flower - can hardly wait

The oncidiums are coming on too - one though has been catching some sun from a gap in the shadecloth and I keep forgetting to ask DH to move it. I'm not steady enough on my feet to get it down. Anyway the new leaves have yellowed a little bit whereas the other two are green and fresh. This one that's been catching the sun has also got some of the old yellowed leaves it had when I picked it up at the garage sale. Can I break them off with the bit at the bottom - pseudo bulb? is that what it's called?

Thanks for the help Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down