Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in for winter

+7
Fran
veg gardener
Scarecrow
Lucky1
Mad Gnome
Blossom
Raymondo
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's in for winter - Page 2 Empty Re: What's in for winter

Post  Raymondo Wed May 14, 2008 3:19 am

For some reason I had though that celeriac was autumn sown but my attempts at that time have both been dismal failures. I'll try spring this time. It doesn't mind frost, at least not when full sized as I once planted seedlings from a nursery and forgot about them until the following spring. They were a little woody but otherwise fine and delicious roasted.

Last edited by Raymondo on Thu May 15, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed May 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Grows in our region round Capella places like that - saw some growing near Bundy not long ago - can't compete with broadleaf weeds and is sprayed with herbicide I believe - also been a problem with some sort of blight the last few years and they are sprayed for this with fungicides. I'm a bit wary of eating chick peas - like to know for sure it's organic. Most is exported to India I think.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 am

From the first 7 beds I did I still have corn, turnips, broccoli, leeks, potatoes, beetroot, onions, peas, beans, cauli's, garlic , silverbeet and just put in more turnips. In another area I now have white onions, brown onions, carrots, capsicums, elephant garlic, asparagus and cauli's, and in the most recent big bed, double rows of 3 different types of broad beans, 2 double rows of peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflowers, plus some more turnips. I feel as if the latter bed will never take off, I hate this waiting for them to appear. LOL. Must start digging some beds out in the orchard next.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 15, 2008 5:53 am

Do you ever stop Betty Shocked
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Thu May 15, 2008 11:39 am

I did stop, Thee, to clean a stable. LOL. Not enough daylight to do all I want to. Have to go water the ponies, feed the sheep, make the pony feeds for tonight, feed the baby lambs, make sure the dogs get their exercise, and it all takes me away from the garden. Grrrr!

I said before that the waiting was getting to me, well, when I went back to the garden all the peas were coming up, so I had get them covered before the birds got to them. Might see if I can spare some time now to get more bottles ready. Hey, it's all better than housework, isn't it? LOL.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2