Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iris season about to start

Go down

Iris season about to start Empty Iris season about to start

Post  siri Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks Cosmic for putting up a seperate board for irises, as we discussed earlier in the year. No one thinks much about these lovely flowers until they start to appear in peoples gardens in mid Spring, with their bold clumps of colourful bloom. As some of you may know, Irises are my specialty plant.
Late in winter the winter irises (I. unguicularis) are in bloom with their delecate mauve shades, and the tiny bulb irises - I.reticulata being the most common of them. In September the bearded irises commence. Firstly the tiny species irises, followed by the dwarf beardeds, then the intermediate beardeds and by mid October the tall beardeds are in their full bloom. At the same time you will see the soft shades of the crested irises (I. japonica, I. tectorum, and others) and the Siberian irises start to bloom. Louisianas, Spurias and Japanese bloom later, taking us right up to Christmas, and if you are able to water any Tall beardeds that have genetic potential for rebloom, then you may be lucky enough to have the occasional bloom right through Autumn.

I will go now and post some photos up in my gallery for you to enjoy.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Iris season about to start Empty Re: Iris season about to start

Post  siri Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 am

siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!