Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to take cuttings from blueberries

4 posters

Go down

When to take cuttings from blueberries Empty When to take cuttings from blueberries

Post  syrah Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:40 am

Hello All

I need your help. I've been searching on the net but have come with conflicting information for when to take cuttings of blueberries.

Some say in midwinter and leave them in the fridge until spring. Why would you do that instead of taking cuttings in early spring?

Has anyone struck cuttings of blueberries?

syrah
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

When to take cuttings from blueberries Empty Re: When to take cuttings from blueberries

Post  Blossom Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:50 am

My friend Esther propagates blueberries taking the cutting in winter and just puts them into propagating mix straight away leaving them outside in the shade. As soon as they are struck she pots them up for next year. I would expect that the cuttings are attuned to dormancy the same as the main plant. I haven't tried cuttings myself as I buy from Esther, but I see no reason why some wouldn't strike. She did say to strike branched cuttings not straight twigs to get a bushy form. Possums love Blueberries! I watched my first crop carefully last year and poof! as soon as they sugared up they were gone. This year they will be netted, booby trapped and trip wired.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

When to take cuttings from blueberries Empty Re: When to take cuttings from blueberries

Post  syrah Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks for that Blossom. I shall do some cutting soon.

We are building an equivalent to Fort Apache. 2m fences with an electric wires for the more curious. We are still deciding who is Corporal Agarn and who is Sergent O'Rourke. I dont think height should be a deciding factor

syrah
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 am

Depends who has the sexy hat!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:23 pm

A timely post. Thanks for that. I want to multiply my blueberries as I only have a single plant of each of three.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:38 pm

After responding to Helen's post, I decided to phone Esther, picked her brains and here, paraphrased is the information she gave me:

Cuttings from deciduous varieties should come from wood that is pruned in winter. Try to take cuttings about the thickness of a pencil. Older bushes are obviously best because you get thicker growth after three or four years and more to prune. Try to get branching cuttings because that will give you a good form for the bush. You can either plant them straight into the ground to strike, if you have good loam, or if it doesn’t get cold enough wrap them in wet paper and leave in the bottom of the fridge for a few weeks – they might even shoot while you keep them there, especially if you put plastic round the paper to keep them moist.

Cuttings from evergreen ones should be taken from short tip cuttings, and grown under mist propagation. Put them in a pot, water well and cover with a plastic bag and seal it. Again they need to be cold. Do all this while the Moon is waning.

Both types are best put into a sandy soil or propagation mix to raise them for the 1st year or 2 before planting them out where they are to grow. Don’t fertilise them in the pots for the first year but if you are going to keep them potted for two years, use a slow release granule. You can put them into individual pots, or have a nursery bed if you wish. Once planted in their permanent place they will produce in the second year. It’s a matter of judging the size, you might find you can plant them out after a year. The ones in the nurseries are two year old plants but that’s because people want a good size before they will pay.

Once they have a good root ball they will love a well drained, clay based loam, slightly acidic with plenty organic material. Remember they are not tolerant of chlorine and chemicals so if possible water them with rainwater, even catch rain in buckets just for the blueberries, or let tap water stand for a couple of days before using it.

Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:26 am

Great info. Thanks Blossom and thank Esther for us.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:00 am

Yes Thanks Blossom and Esther.

syrah
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 am

Very helpful! Thank you so much. I shall take cuttings soon.
Not today - it's cold and wet out there. Hail, rain, wind. The temperature is dropping. From 6.2 to 5.6 degrees so far. And it's not even lunchtime yet!
I am not complaining - we've had wonderful rainfall so far. I love it! Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 am

Your blueberries came from Esther's stock. Helen, if you are up north, go to Pointon's Nursery at Ulverstone, the Purple Palace. that's where Esther hangs out. I haven't been game to take cuttings yet, would like to beat the birds to the fruit first! Another tip, : don't pick the fruit until it's completely ripe ( the birds will show you!) because blueberries don't ripen once picked and varieties like Blue Crop and Denise can be quite sour until fully ripe. Another tip, this time from Bernie who grows out Smithton way. When potting them up, include some peat moss in the potting mix. If you want to grow in pots, have about 20% peat moss in the growing mix. Bernie hails from some place in America where he grew blueberries in a swamp.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 am

So, how many of you have taken cuttings and how are they doing?

I took cuttings on the weekend. These are from a bush that I have to transplant as it is in an awkward spot.
So it's early days.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

No roots yet, but not dried out. I've transferred them to a mix of sandy loam and crushed pine bark - apparently they root better if the growing medium is slightly acidic. Lots of information on this site http://www.mountainblue.com.au/ including cutting striking. Seems I was doing it right. The nutritional info is good as is the history of varieties. I'm not sure if they send to Tassie, but I think I will order some more Briggitte next year.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Haven't had time for the cuttings. Must mark the calendar for a good date!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down