Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No dig garden patch

4 posters

Go down

No dig garden patch Empty No dig garden patch

Post  me2u Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:34 am

Hi All,
I have been building my no-dig patch for about 3 years now with some degree of success I am pondering over whether I should add some trace elements to improve the beds and if so how much and what method of application would be best suited to no-dig situation.
My biggest failure has been Garlic which we both love but sadly crop failure after crop failure so I have given up on trying to grow garlic.Trying to growing garlic it has been an expensive exercise I followed all the advice to no avail I reckon I would have spent $200 just on bulbs from various suppliers across au .
All my other vege's grew well.
Cheers J Smile

me2u

Back to top Go down

No dig garden patch Empty Re: No dig garden patch

Post  Raymondo Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:15 pm

I'd add seaweed extract. It has a number of trace elements. If you wanted to add something like the Manutec trace elements, I'd consider making a quick compost solution and add the trace elements to this before pouring it onto the garden. The reason is that the humates in the compost solution will act as a kind of chelating agent for the minerals and theyll be in a form better suited to plants.

Odd that your garlic fails. Where are you? When do you sow?

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:41 pm

are you trying to grow your garlic in the no dig bed? I think they prefer regular soil to the high organic content of a no dig.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  me2u Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:54 am

Hi Ray & Guzzigirl,
I think G'girl may be onto it with the garlic not being happy in the NDG .
Ray I planted the past attempts as recommended around March as per moon guide for our area Brisbane sub tropo
the first year I kept the babies in the beer fridge for a couple of months before planting they were glen large variety organic the next year I put the babes in the fridge again for about 1 month these were Russian garlic the large bulbs again organic still failed then the last years attempt was a mix variety that I purchased at Northey St organic markets and some of these I put into the freezer for a couple of days before planting they all failed as well
in all cases the bulbs sprouted well and then after about 2 months they started to stagnate I varied the planting depth from 50 mil first try then 20 mil and final 10 mil .
We have onion weed popping up all over the block at times when I let it get away so I thought that if that will grow I should be able to grow my garlic too, but it seems I will just have it keep buying it.
Cheers disappointed garlic luva
Sad

me2u

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 am

I planted some earlier this year - added dolomite beforehand - planted upright just under the surface - barely covered. They were going great guns but we've had so much rain this month with days of overcast weather and I think they got cold wet feet - certain death from what I can make out. Never tried growing it before so disappointed too. Might try a container next time so I can bring it undercover.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down