Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

baby bok choy

4 posters

Go down

baby bok choy Empty baby bok choy

Post  Fran Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Love this vegetable but it bolts here in the heat through summer. Have decided it's a winter crop but just learnt it can bolt after a frost or a week of low temperatures. So maybe plant earlier in the year soon as the real heat of summer has subsided - mulch? Any other tips? Would appreciate comments because I think it's a great vegetable. I steam it whole or use the leaves as I would spinach. Love it.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

baby bok choy Empty Re: baby bok choy

Post  The Estate Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:33 am

I dont grow it as it is just so cheap to buy and yes I like it as well I love you
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:12 am

I've only grown it the once - last summer - I thought it would take more water than it did but I had it in a huge pot in the shade and was able to keep the ground moist round about so I did get to eat about half of what I planted. I might try planting it out all year and see what happens. I had no idea what I was doing really - beginner's luck Very Happy
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:18 am

I only tried to grow it once - unsuccessfully. You really need to find the right time to plant it. I may try again, as it's a beaut vegetable.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:17 am

It's been on my 'to plant' list quite often but this year it actually made it into the ground. Sadly only one seed germinated but the plant is big and healthy and I've beed able to pick some leaves for soups. Very nice. I sowed mine in autumn and so far it hasn't shown any signs of bolting.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:04 am

Apparently it's necessary to keep them growing - so liquid fertilizer or something like that every fortnight or so.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down