Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another method of crop rotation - seasonal

4 posters

Go down

Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Empty Another method of crop rotation - seasonal

Post  Blossom Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 am

Because we generally grow specific vegetables in specific seasons, there is another method that proves quite successful. I give credit to Steve Solomon, who gardens down the Tamar in Tassie. Steve suggest rotating in three sections - the Spring garden, the Summer garden and the Autumn garden. Spring garden is sown from July to October ( in cool/temperate zones, earlier in warmer zones) Summer from October to December and Autumn from January to March. Autumn sown crops then go in where the Spring crops have come out. The following year there is a switch. The Autumn beds (which could be green manured or rested over winter and spring) become the Summer beds. The previous year's Summer beds now become the Spring beds ( green manured or rested during Autumn and Winter) and eventually go on to be the Autumn. I like this method but it does mean that at times you will have one third of your garden under green manure, so timing is the key.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Empty Re: Another method of crop rotation - seasonal

Post  siri Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:05 am

That sounds very do-able for me. I'm hunting for a supplier of mixed green manure seed. Any suggestions?
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Empty Re: Another method of crop rotation - seasonal

Post  guzzigirl Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 am

siri wrote:That sounds very do-able for me. I'm hunting for a supplier of mixed green manure seed. Any suggestions?

believe it or not you can buy some at Bunnings! in the aisle where the fertilisers are.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 am

Cool - I will go in search tomorrow and get it in the ground.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:40 pm

This is the mix I planted in November and just dug in this weekend. I bought a pack at the Melbourne International Flower Show but then saw the same mix in Bunnings. I can't remember what's in it though Embarassed

Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Th_20080530002 Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Th_20080530003 Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Th_20080530004 Another method of crop rotation - seasonal Th_20080530005
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Looks great - so what will you plant there now Guzzigirl Cool
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:05 pm

I managed to pick up a pack of that seed today. Haven't looked to see what's in it yet. It's still in the car somewhere amongst the mess that poses as out "business car" LOL
I hope to go over the area one more time with the rotary hoe tomorrow, then plant the seeds and stand back.
Thanks for the tip!
Cheers, jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Fran wrote:Looks great - so what will you plant there now Guzzigirl Cool

getting it ready for spring. it was so dry and dead after last summer that I wanted to concentrate of rejuvenating the soil. Even found a few worms when I turned in back in Very Happy
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down