Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daphne Odorata

4 posters

Go down

Daphne Odorata Empty Daphne Odorata

Post  Blossom Fri May 23, 2008 6:53 am

I've just taken a load of cuttings from various shrubs and currants and noticed my Daphne is getting what appears to be flower buds. I know nothing to speak of about this shrub. It was bought for me by a friend and shoved in a corner, and left to its own devices, which, needless to say it thrived. It is a bit straggly - i.e. one large piece has rooted itself in a spot about 30 cm from the main plant and I'm wondering if I cab cut that off and plant it elsewhere as it is practically a second plant. But timing matters I think. When do you think I should do it? Will Daphne grow from cuttings? When do I take cuttings?
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Daphne Odorata Empty Re: Daphne Odorata

Post  The Estate Fri May 23, 2008 7:52 am

Yes they do grow from cuttings, and you could cut the other piece off and make a new plant, I would wait until it has finished flowering though,

Daphne likes a temperate climate with a well-drained soil, so the cuttings have a reputation for being hard to strike. Make sure they're taken in the middle of summer (try Australia Day) from new growth that can just be snapped rather than bent. They should be about 75mm long and cut just below a node. Plant them as deep as you can in a mix of two parts sand to one of good soil or peatmoss. Water, and cover with an inverted jar. Don't let them dry out. They should start to root within six weeks.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=116367
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks Thee - I'll wait until Australia Day then give it a go. I'm also trying to grow some Magnolia cuttings this year. Not sure how they'll go.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sat May 24, 2008 5:50 am

Good luck, I have a port wine Mag. in a pot, smells so sweet when in flower, even though the flowers dont last long Crying or Very sad
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  robbin Sat May 24, 2008 8:27 am

Father in Law did our Daphne cuttings for us. As a retired nurseryman it was his pride and joy to strike Daphne.

We try and don't have the same luck. He timed it practically to the day to take the pieces, but around Boxing Day. He said Daphne needed to be under 'double glass', like inside a propagator, inside a glasshouse. Or under plastic in a sheltered position. And with all that covering up they need attention to humidity, so air them off regularly.

Or, if you get a piece low enough they will layer. Good Luck.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sat May 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Mum always seemed to have a little snip of it in a vase on her window sill and would watch for the roots to form, then pot it up.
I love Daphne birkwoodii. Strangely the blossoms are very similar to the viburnum of the same name. Maybe Mr. Birkwood used his nose to lead him to new plant species - LOL.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum