Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to buy when

+2
The Estate
Fran
6 posters

Go down

what to buy when Empty what to buy when

Post  Fran Wed May 14, 2008 8:21 am

Just an idea.

With all the recent publicity surrounding the poor quality of fresh fruit and vegies sold in supermarkets - how lacking in nutrients they'd be after months in cold storage - I thought it might be a great to have a list up of what's fresh and in season in our own local regions - or perhaps what we ourselves are growing and harvesting each season .

People are so used to buying fruit and vegies out of season now and who has a clue what's fresh unless you are growing your own - so we eat apples all year when they're only in season for part. Could be eating all sorts of luscious fruit instead if we only knew what to buy when.
Same goes for vegies.

I would find it handy myself - haven't a clue whether the artichokes I see about are being harvested from local or interstate growers or not because I've never grown them and wouldn't know what time of year they are in season.

What do you reckon.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

what to buy when Empty Re: what to buy when

Post  The Estate Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 am

great idea Fran cheers
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed May 14, 2008 9:10 am

I thought I'd move this topic to the Edible Gardening section. Have a vague idea that maybe I could add a 'harvesting' column to the monthly planting guide. Will think about it - I am off to Hobart tomorrow for Liam's birthday back Sunday. If anyone can find a more sensible idea go for it!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Fri May 16, 2008 12:50 pm

I think this is a great idea. Would complement a sowing schedule well. Perhaps we could collect info here, divided by climate zone, then amalgamate it into some sort of table. Not sure how this would work.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 pm

This is a great idea. So many thinkgs are offered out of season now, and are imports or hothouse grown, and simply don't have the taste of normal foods. I have a book about cooking what is in season - deals with growing and cooking, in Aus. I will have a look over the weekend.
These days we even should be considering the imbedded energy in foods being brought from interstate growers, but at least that is better than Canadian cherries, or cabbages from China.
Making a habit of eating in season foods will also make one appreciate the more common foods, rather than seeking out the 'special" stuff. why eat imported cherries in winter, when you can eat crips, organic, fully ripened apples from your own backyard tree. Grow some rhubarb for a desert treat instead of buying tasteless strawberries from the stupourmarket. Buy the thickened cream there instead :-)
A trip to an organic greengrocers will give a better idea of what is local and in season.
Fruit wise - at present I have lemons and apples still on the tree. Have just harvested pumpkins, tomatoes, egg plant, capsicum. Still harvesting onions, lettuce leaves, silverbeet, beetroot.
This list should vary according to location so might need to be divided into the various zones.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  veg gardener Fri May 16, 2008 3:23 pm

why dont we make a blog that we all have a log into to and we all post stuff on that. and help blossom out alot? ill also post this on the ideas thread.

veg gardener

http://veggardeners.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum