Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I like Fuchsias.

5 posters

Go down

I  like Fuchsias. Empty I like Fuchsias.

Post  robbin Sun May 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Love them. But for many years I didn't have any. Then our neighbour gave her collection to my daughter, who said, mum you can look after them and then I'll let you take cuttings. Gee, Thanks.

But it was the start and for years each autumn we'd buy a few new ones and see what survived the winter. A small collection of about 25 different ones that I keep in pots around the back door. Some I know the names, some not.

Well, over the last decade the drought has knocked out most of the Viuctorian fuchsia nurseries. So it's a few years since I bought any new ones. So imagine my delight to find via the net that a small propagating nursery is operating 50 km from here. A visit yesterday saw me showing great restraint and only buying 14. But I'll be back.

I'm a Happy Penny.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

I  like Fuchsias. Empty Re: I like Fuchsias.

Post  siri Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

I love them too Penny. Do you remember the big one that used to operate in Creswick road, at Mt. Rowan, north of Ballarat? The people who ran it are members of our local garden club, and retired now. They used to import new varieties from over seas and propogate them in their nursery.
I couldn't grow them in Castlemaine because of the severe frosts, but I can grow them in a few protected spots here, and they like to lean through the decking fence when they are in bloom. Lovely!
Do you intend to propogate and sell them Penny? Are you open to the public at all or do you only seel through e-bay?
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun May 11, 2008 2:59 pm

There is a wonderful nursery called Fuschia Fantasy near Turners Beach in Tassie, we often go there as we can get lunch for the gilds and us for less than $30 and its real food! The Fuschias are amazing, at least 1000 different colours and forms, so we can never resist bringing one home. If you run short I can package some cuttings for you!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon May 12, 2008 4:35 am

There used to be a nursery near me, but long gone now and townhouses built, was one of my fav. places to visit and got to know the owner very well, I think some of them make the best hanging baskets ever cheers
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 12, 2008 4:48 am

I only ever see fuschias growing when I visit Toowoomba but know they will grow other places in Qld. My sister had one growing in the shade of a deck many years ago when she lived in Brisbane. Would have been an old variety and don't believe she ever had time to fuss over it. Think it got itself established and liked it there.

Saw them at Hobart Botanical Gardens last year - beautiful. Envy anyone who can grow them Penny Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum