Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

growing kale

5 posters

Go down

growing kale Empty growing kale

Post  earthmama Fri May 02, 2008 9:42 am

hi everyone Im only new at growing food and have tried to grow kale. none of the seeds have germinated. I planted some in seed pots indoors and some outside in the garden. What did I do wrong.
can some one help me and If you know were I can get some kale seedlings would be great too.
thanks
earthmama
earthmama
earthmama

http://angela-earthmama.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

growing kale Empty Re: growing kale

Post  The Estate Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 am

sounds like they may have rotted, planting time is usually around November till the end of March and they take around 5 days to germinate, what are are you ?? It may be too cold now Rolling Eyes
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Fri May 02, 2008 12:30 pm

I agree with Thee, or possibly you had old seed? You can get seed of a number of Kale varieties from new Gippsland seed farm and Diggers also have it. Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun May 11, 2008 3:49 pm

I'd try again. Finding seedlings for kale will be difficult. Try to get hold of more, hopefully fresher seed. The sources mentioned by siri are good.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 12, 2008 4:39 am

I don't know the first thing about kale but you might be interested in reading about the different varieties here - http://www.thelostseed.com.au/page23.htm

Only just discovered the link - think they're in Tassie - don't know if they are reliable seed suppliers or not.

Want to plant this myself but live in the subtropics so would have to plant winter like I do spinach. Believe it likes nitrogen so needs soil enriched with some manure or compost maybe a bit of fish emulsion or organic fertilizer pellets - good drainage, sun. Would need to keep moist until it's up and on its way Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

growing kale Empty growing kale

Post  earthmama Thu May 15, 2008 3:50 am

thanks everyone
you have given me lots to ponder. thankyou especially Fran I have ordered seeds from the link you gave me and will let you all know when I get them. I have learnt about growing food through trial and error and have just added the kale thing to another learning experience and will just try again
keep on keeping on!
earthmama
earthmama

http://angela-earthmama.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down