Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Spice of Life

Go down

The Spice of Life Empty The Spice of Life

Post  Blossom Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm drooling over my spice list like a mad thing. I get in fresh stocks every year and will be doing it by parcel post this year. I can't turn my back for five minutes and another weed grows so no trip to Hobbit Town for a bit. Spice World are wonderful and will post stuff out to me. So big order going in. What I do with odd and sods left over that isn't too faded or impotent is make up mixes. That way I have some handy curry powders etc on hand. We had enough left this year to make up a nice Berber mix which goes really well with North African Moroccan cuisine. Thought I'd share it. All measures are in teaspoons except where indicated and any seeds have been ground so all are powders

2 cumin
2 cardamon
1 allspice
1 fenugreek
1 coriander
1/2 cloves
1 black pepper
3 crumbled up dried red chilli to taste - mine are cayenne home grown
2 ginger ( or you can add fresh grated ginger when you use it as ginger tends to lose its potency)
2 turmeric
1 salt
1 cinammon
4 mild paprika ( for colour)
1/2 nutmeg

This might seem like a lot but you can mix it well and put it in an airtight jar in a cool dark place and it should last another 8 or 9 months. It is a lovely pungent not overly hot blend that goes well with chicken or sprinkled over a tagine meal. Also good with roasted pumpkin.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down