Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading at the moment?

+3
siri
Fran
Mad Gnome
7 posters

Go down

What are you reading at the moment? Empty What are you reading at the moment?

Post  Mad Gnome Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 am

I have just finished the book "White Cargo" by Felicity Kendal, which I enjoyed. Now I am wondering what to read next.

So, if you tell me what you are reading right now, I might be able to pick my next book.
Don't be shy - let us know what you are reading.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What are you reading at the moment? Empty Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post  Fran Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi Smile

Haven't read it but brought home 'The House at Riverton' to skim through - thought my mother would like it - recommended by the local librarian who said it was the best read she's had for awhile. It's easier for my mother if she gives us a list of books to pick up from the library and we sometimes run across one like this that might suit.

She probably hasn't read "White Cargo" either so thanks for mentioning it.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

What are you reading at the moment? Empty Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post  siri Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Oh dear me - I had a book. I chose something short. Doris Lessing, when the grass sings? The singing grass? something like that. Only 200 + pages and I managed to put it down and not get back to it. Too much gardening to do at the moment, plus impending tax deadlines for work. I put that second, because the garden always comes first.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Belladonna Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Australia Street by Ann Whitehead.Very good really has the time down and you are transported back there too.
I also liked Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy but I like her books they are so friendly just like a coffee and a chat with a friend.
Belladonna
Belladonna
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 am

I just finished "Cathedral of the Sea" by Ildefonso Falcones, translated by Nick Caistor from the original Spanish. I wasn't sure I was going to like it when it started in rural Catelonia with peasants being mistreated by the local landowner reminiscent of the Sheriff of Nottingham, but it soon developed into a book that gobsmacked me into understanding the politics, church and state, serfs and principalities, commerce, trade and social structures, attitudes and consciousness mainly centred on the building of a Cathedral to Mary of the Sea in 1320 through to 1380. It covered the slow corruption of priests, bought by political leaders that resulted in the Inquisition, many small wars that were instigated by the ruling families and was quite an eye opener as it showed the sophistication of life in the upper classes. It explained why Jews were both hated and respected and how the Inquisition disrupted centuries of Catholic and Jew living side by side and brought the hatred to a crisis that has been repeated time and again. One of those epic books that fortunately moved with plenty movement, no posturing or padding and was very informative as well as entertaining. I guess the 'peasant makes good - peasant loses all - peasant regains his position' is an archetypal story told in many cultures but Spain is not a country I have read much about.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:26 am

I am not reading as much at the moment, as I am too tired in the evening. (Crazy busy here.) Also, my mum is staying with us at the moment and it seems that as soon as I finally sit down in the evening and pick up a book that this is the signal that I am ready to CHAT. Rolling Eyes

But I am two thirds through "A thousand splendid suns". Very good read. Interesting. Terrible. Sad. And in a way uplifting. I think Blossom, you recommended it ages ago.

Plenty of good books being read in here, I see. Keep your book lists coming.

Last edited by Mad Gnome on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Miscounted - there are not 100 but 1000 suns....)

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:43 am

I did indeed recommend it. It is an amazing little book, while it is sad, it is also indicative of core strength in human beings. A little history lesson too. You could try putting a paper bag on your head................
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 am

I just finished reading Richard Flanagan's "Gould's Book of Fish" - I've liked his other novels, but this one was a bit too bizaare for me! Just started Anna Karenina (I was on a trip to the US and knew I'd have lots of travel time to read a big book). There are a lot of classic novels that I never read and every now and again I try one. I'm often surprised at how readable they are - and the quality of writing shows through.

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:53 am

There are a lot of classics I really like and read more than once, or are on my 'to-read'-list. There are also quite a few I never could get into - The Brontes and J. Austen spring to mind. Not sure why?

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:30 am

Probly cos they are full of vapourish twitty twaddly women doing embroidery and sitz baths who need a smack to animate them Twisted Evil
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:16 am

The forum lol!
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Blossom wrote:Probly cos they are full of vapourish twitty twaddly women doing embroidery and sitz baths who need a smack to animate them Twisted Evil

You got it! And all in one sentence! Thank you. Cool

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:19 am

LOL but what about Lord Jim, The Black Tulip, The Scarlet Letter, An American Tragedy etc Cool
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum