Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Reggie is a hero

+4
siri
Fran
The Estate
meriash
8 posters

Go down

Little Reggie is a hero Empty Little Reggie is a hero

Post  meriash Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

He told us about 2 snakes today,

No. 1 a 4 foot tree snake dangling in my ferns , he got short shrift.

No. 2. a 6 foot brown, , it was on the verandah the first time he told us, missed it then, we went off for our nanny and poppy nap then Reggie started up again out near the trellis with Cecille Brunner rose on one end and a bougainvillea on the other end, there the darn thing was up on top ,crawling into a large hollow log with a burl on it I have in there, DH raced and got some petrol while I stood and watched it while it watched me, telling my self all the time, don't blink your eyes or he will be gone, ,
Petrol poured down the hole, big kerfuffle while he danced round in the log, then out he came full bore and raced for the paddock.

Inside for a big cuppa, and a prayer that he is still going full bore in a northerly direction. Little Reggie is a hero Reggie10Little Reggie is a hero Reggie10

Now don't ever believe anyone who tells you a brown snake can't climb,

Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Little Reggie is a hero Empty Re: Little Reggie is a hero

Post  The Estate Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:22 pm

You can keep your snakes thanks affraid
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

LOL Hope you didn't forget Reggie when you had that cuppa I love you

They can climb. Had one on a two storey verandah rail once - right by a tap coming off a high tank stand. It was probably after a drink. I had my first born in one arm, a few months old, and a bucket in the other. Don't know who got the biggest fright - wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh now. It got short shrift too - went back to earth in a hurry Evil or Very Mad Never tried the petrol trick - dont' think I'm game LOL
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Well done Reggie! I hope he never gets close enough to get bitten.
Now I wonder if that brown snake took time to relax and light up a cigarette after his "narrow escape"...............Whoooooffff!!!!
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:27 pm

siri wrote:Well done Reggie! I hope he never gets close enough to get bitten.

as long as he just barks and doesn't try to bite. my sister has lost more than one dog to snake bites due to them trying to take them on.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Guzzi, we lost many good dogs when we were on the farm to snakes. Some of them were protecting our children so were bitten in the line of duty.
We were just too far from the Vet to get them help, which was terrible, too.

Thank goodness Reggie just barks, a very high pitched bark it is too, quite different from his usual bark.

Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Mine only bark at the birds and the posties motorbike
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  orchid40 Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Oooh Marion, thank goodness for Reggie! Two for the price of one lol. I don't envy you living with those beasties but I suppose people get used to it.

orchid40

http://orchid40-valsobsession.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Half a small soup tin of petrol usually is enough, Marion, it's the fumes that will shift them. What a good boy Reggie is, hope he got a nice reward. The Browns climb alright. I was on the phone one day when a movement outside caught my eye, a Brown snake hanging from the spouting, swaying and looking in the window. affraid LOL. It'd gone up the pencil pine outside our bedroom window after sparrows or eggs and that was the last time it did that! I hung up, then rang neighbors who came and tracked it down to my vegie patch and shot it. I watched it when it came back down the tree, wondering how it'd manage the last few feet, without branches, and it just dropped to the ground. Oh, the pencil pine came down.
Watch where you are walking up there.

Cheers
Betty
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:36 am

Yes, they are scary things and so quick.
You were lucky to track yours down, I find that if I so much as blink while watching them they are gone as quick as a flash.

I am so wary of snakes that we don't have any undergrowth round the garden and I plant so that there is no absolute ground cover in the gardens, just hate the thought of sticking my hand or foot onto a mouth LOL.

Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Maree Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 am

Good grief Marion, the one hanging in the fernery must have been a shock, don't fancy them head high at all Shocked don't fancy them at all for that matter ......and good on you little Reggie.

I expect we'll see some red bellied blacks this year near the dam......last year one ventured up into our fernery next to the house, it was on a 43 degree day.....don't like it when they come close to the house. But on the whole, we don't see very many.

Cheers
Maree
Maree
Maree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum