Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Hot Peppers

Go down

Red Hot Peppers Empty Red Hot Peppers

Post  Guest Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:08 am

Hot Peppers
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?PJCCB Red Hot Peppers.

Four plants in the garden produce about three quarts of peppers. These were planted 1 June 2008, purchased form a supplier with no cultivar name, just hot peppers. They will be dried and blended to produce a semi-powder used similarly as one would paprika.

The peppers are indeed hot, and have sufficient capsaicin for most palates. I like the larger hot peppers, since they are easy to pick and the capsaicin is more than adequate.

When growing, the plants are supplied with a cup of vinegar in about a liter of water periodically during the growing season to keep the roots in a local acid environment.

Last edited by Durgan on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Red Hot Peppers Empty Re: Red Hot Peppers

Post  Fran Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:01 am

What a wonderful harvest ! Didn't think it would be warm enough for them to grow there - shows what I know Rolling Eyes Perhaps you could explain to us the technique you use to dry them one day - I only pickle or make a sauce with mine or use them fresh.

Interested in the vinegar. Never heard of using it for that purpose - to make the ground more acidic for a particular plant I mean. Are you using ordinary household vinegar, Durgan? Interested because I know using horticultural vinegar can make the ground so acidic over time nothing will grow there.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 am

Fran wrote:What a wonderful harvest ! Didn't think it would be warm enough for them to grow there - shows what I know Rolling Eyes Perhaps you could explain to us the technique you use to dry them one day - I only pickle or make a sauce with mine or use them fresh.

Interested in the vinegar. Never heard of using it for that purpose - to make the ground more acidic for a particular plant I mean. Are you using ordinary household vinegar, Durgan? Interested because I know using horticultural vinegar can make the ground so acidic over time nothing will grow there.

I dry the peppers in the shed, which gets quite hot during the day if the sun shines, and when absolutely dry, I put the whole pepper in the blender and beat them to small particles. I still have some from last year.

Peppers like a Ph of around 5. I use ordinary household (3%) white vinegar, and have some practical evidence that the procedure is beneficial. When I first tried the procedure, I tested on a few plants and decided that the results were worth continuing the practice. Since the acid is localized, it probably does no harm after cultivating the garden for the next season.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down