Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been and Gone and Dunnit!

+4
Fran
The Estate
guzzigirl
Blossom
8 posters

Go down

Been and Gone and Dunnit! Empty Been and Gone and Dunnit!

Post  Blossom Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, the caravan that we bought in a knee jerk reaction 2 years ago, still hasn't sold, even though it's been with the yard for 15 months, I think a distinct lack of effort on their part. So last night we did a bit of surfing and found the ideal layout that we want in a van in Launceston. Went through there today and have done a deal. They will take the other van as a trade in and we have a slightly older, but much more comfortable one in exchange. It has a shower and loo, bedroom behind folding doors and a wrap around lounge that will accommodate my long legs. No air conditioning or fancy antennae but it will keep himself happy and I've done a deal that we never go away for longer than 8 weeks once a year and weekends the rest of the time. I'm not the stuff of leaving on the long trip and staying away from my nice house and garden for long. So all things being equal we are both happy with the compromise. Loose plan to fit in with medical appointments is to head north around 10th September and return around 15th October, heading for Adelaide, the Yorke and Eyre Peninsula ( ambitious? ) for some R and R and seafood and maybe a bit of Vic. I'm a bit shell shocked............

Last edited by Blossom on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Been and Gone and Dunnit! Empty Re: Been and Gone and Dunnit!

Post  guzzigirl Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 pm

good on you Blossom! hate it when things just don't seem to happen!
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 am

Sounds great Very Happy , dont forget in your in Melb. do drop in cyclops
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 am

Had friends visit a fortnight ago - called in on their way home after 4 months doing the grand tour. Said it took 2 years to find a van they were happy with - ended up with one made in Sydney - 2nd hand but immaculate. Bed up one end - windows all round it and opening up top. They had trouble finding one that wasn't dark and claustrophobic - that was their main concern - first question they asked when they were looking was the colour scheme LOL. I'm not into caravan living or camping but did like their van - if you are going to spend months in one it does need to be comfortable.

Hope you enjoy your trip away Blossom - they did - had very happy memories and want to do it all again Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:25 pm

We'll take you up on that Cheryl ! Our first vehicle was a motor home and very comfortable in the camping bit but a bum-bone bouncer in the driving part. Then we bought the van we've just sold without really knowing what we wanted and it wasn't it. This new (second hand one) is not as claustrophobic as the previous one but I've elicited the promise that if I get stir crazy we head for home. And having my own double bed will mean I don;t have to go 6 weeks without sleep! ( My shoulder freezes from the damage done in radiation if I don't sleep with my arms above my head, and you cannot do that in a van with a single bed and your head in a cupboard! ) Believe me, I'm doing this to keep the man happy; I'm mighty sick of his miserable face when his mates are going off for the winter and he has this anti social wife who likes living in her own home and big screen tellie and computer etc. So, we've reached a compromise and one of them is that he'll have to turn around when I say so and there is to be a 6 weeks max limit on any trip abroad. I got my rights too!

Now, advice from the seasoned ones - we thought we'd head west to the Yorke Peninsula for a look around, it will take us a week or so to get the Adelaide and of course we'll be dropping into Gnomesville. Would a week be long enough to drive around the Peninsula because we thought we'd then have a look at the Eyre. About 3 years ago I drove to Perth as my physical challenge on that year and we stayed in a cabin in Ceduna which did not please me at all, so I think we'd cut that corner off. So what is worth seeing around that area? Like what shouldn't we miss? Or should we come back to Adelaide and not bother? Also will it still be cold in September ? WE plan on leaving her around the 10th and coming back about 15th October.

Rainy, aren't you going to be around SA about then? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am having an anxiety attack at the thought of it. For someone who has walked Paris alone, lived in the depths of the West African Jungle, explored the game parks of South Africa and the Namibian Desert, went to the USA for 5 months alone to prove I can do something alone, I feel like a fraud, but I am just a bit pressured by this.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lorraine Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:06 am

yup will send you an email ok
lorraine
lorraine
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  flower gnome Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Blossom,

In regards to York Peninsula / Eyre Peninsula
There is a ferry service that runs from Wallaroo (York) to Cowell (Eyre) which cuts out about 6 hours of driving time. If you are not keen on the Ceduna side of Eyre than suggest you do the Cowell to Port Lincoln side. Havent been for years but if you like coastal scenery than Port Lincoln and surrounds should satisfy. Inland on the Eyre is lots of dry and dust.
Here is a link to the ferry site. http://www.seasa.com.au
Will probably still be cold in September. The fire will still be on in Gnomesville

Cheers

flower gnome

Back to top Go down

Been and Gone and Dunnit! Empty Ready Steady Go

Post  Blossom Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks Flower! We've decided not to do the Eyre as all thing being equal we will be heading for Perth at Easter next year and can travel via the Eyre then. Instead we'll head for the Flinders Ranges after Yorke.

We have booked on the Spirit on 13th September, a couple of days in Ballarat and are booked into a park on the Yorke on 21st for a week. Hope to visit Gnomesville either on the way or on the return leg probably on the way there.

We hope to be meeting up with a few people from another forum in Maitland - including Belladonna from here. Not sure where everyone else is, but would love to catch up with Lucky and Scarecrow if its at all possible.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tilly Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:42 am

the van sounds good Blossom...we are vanless at the moment but if we do ever get another I would definitely like a shower and loo....the thing I have always liked about vans is you have all you need with you...food bedding water etc...have a good trip....

tilly
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 am

So when you we get to see the new van Suspect
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 am

We'll be heading for Ballarat on the 14th September before going west. But on the way back in October I have no idea which way we'll come. It is a bloody big rig, not really good for parking in streets! We'll probably stay around Melbourne for a couple of days on the way back, most likely at the Ashley Gardens Caravan Park.

Tilly, after the last van which had squeezy single beds ( not good when you are nearly 6 foot tall) and no shower and toilet this one is really comfortable. The layout is good and we've set it up so we have two double beds which is what we have at home. It's nice to get all the duplicate appliances out of my kitchen!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 am

How big is that thing?! Sounds massive. But comfy. Smile
Must be quite daunting to drive, though. Question

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 pm

21 ft 6" plus the vehicle. So we don't pull up in too many places! We'll be staying in Belair National Park when we get to Adelaide on about 18th/19th.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:53 pm

That's a mighty monster! Shocked

Bel Air National Park is about a 40 mins drive from our place. We must meet up!
You are most welcome to park your monster in our driveway, if it can handle a dirt road, and windy roads. Or leave it in the park and drive up to stay the night.

Otherwise we'll have to see how and where and when we can meet up.

Hahndorf has a caravan park, too, I think. That'd be a bit closer to our place.
And we'd be very happy to take some time out to show you around, if you like. Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum