Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motivate me!

+2
Blossom
Mad Gnome
6 posters

Go down

Motivate me! Empty Motivate me!

Post  Mad Gnome Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am

It's so cold here (I am wearing 3 pairs of socks, leggings under my jeans, 1 thick sheep-wool cardigan over 2 other layers of clothing, and a knee rug while sitting at the computer) - that I am not motivated at all to even get my box of seeds to see which tomatoes, chillies, etc. I'd like to plant this season.

What about you? Have you started? Have you decided? Please motivate me! I shall regret a late start, I'm sure.

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Motivate me! Empty Re: Motivate me!

Post  Blossom Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 pm

My motivation was because seed packets were falling on my head every time I opened the cupboard. I have sorted my seeds and shared several, but that's about all. I think this has been a LONG winter - realistically, we don;t want to be planting out yet, so I gave myself permission to be slack and idle for the month of August and not to go outside unless I have to. Like to check up on Bob that he's doing his jobs! I finished another quilt today, so you can tell how much gardening I've done. I even watched Dr Phil one day - bloody hell, he's an arrogant sod isn't he! And I played one of the games Fran posted! I firmly believe we are motivated by nature - when the timing is right we will respond, so who says you have to be doing stuff when you don't feel like it - that makes stress happen! Enjoy the leisure. I think the frost is working the ground better than any fork can do!
study
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 am

*LOL* Thank you. I really liked to hear that, just to confirm what I was thinking and feeling.

Another quilt!? Well done. Can't wait to see a picture.

Dr Phil? No idea, I have never seen him. Good thing, too, by the sounds of it. Smile

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:43 am

I was extremely motivated last week. I spent 5 hours planting tomato, capsicum, chilli, eggplant and herb seeds for the Steiner school that one of seed savers friends children go to.

I have to wait until my house inspection has occurred, because I think the real estate agent would get funny with all the tomato seedlings in the lounge - warmest room in unit. Oh I cant wait to get my own house!

I've decided to plant yellows and black/purple tomatoes this years, with my favourite reliable reds thrown in.

syrah
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 am

Sounds great. What may these yellows, blacks, and reliable reds be?

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 pm

I have most of mine sown. Nevertheless, there's plenty of time. Christmas before last, a hail storm on the solstice wiped out the garden so new seeds were sown directly in the ground. Still got quite a respectable, if late harvest!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:50 am

Sitting in front of the computer is the coldest thing you can do, unless you have heaters blazing. If it isn't raining (or only slight drizzle) outside, put on a coat - not too thick - you only need something that keeps the wind out, like a golf jacket. Take several brisk walks around the garden, and you will soon find something to do. It doesn't have to involve getting your hands into the cold soil, if it's that cold. Maybe dig over some compost, or lug some pea straw bales to build a no dig garden? You will be warm in no time, and wonder why you were complaining.
This is what I call pruning weather. I rug up and put gloves on - it's the only time I wear gardening gloves. Then I equip myself with wheel barrow or drop sheet for the prunings, loppers, and several secateurs, and get stuck right in.
Keep moving and you won't feel the cold so much!
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am

For me it's the opposite - usually I start work in the garden come April and can happily find something to do right through winter into summer. When those dog days of summer come I retreat LOL
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Steve is a Tasmanian gardener. He has a book called Growing Vegetables South of Australia that is applicable to Tasmanian conditions but would be useful in other cold cool regions. He has a website but every time I try to post the link here, no text appears. I think the forum is having knipshens. Google Steve Solomon and you'll find a page called soil and helath or something similar. His home page is there.

Fran, more than ever I think this reminds us to save seeds if we want diversity.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum