Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fluid Sowing

2 posters

Go down

Fluid Sowing Empty Fluid Sowing

Post  me2u Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:17 am

Hi all,
I have been reading about fluid sowing in a book by Allan Seale in the article he writes that you sprinkle the seeds onto wet filter paper enclose the container to keep in the moisture and kept in a warm place until signs of germination take place then the sprouting seed is carefully washed into a fine seive and then tapped into a prepared gel then poured into a plastic bag then cut off the corner of the plastic bag big enough to allow the mix to be gently squeezed out along the prepared rows in the bed just like icing on a cake .
The gel could be made from arrowroot or cornflour but keep the gel thin or it will take too long for the gel to dissipate in the soil.
I have been thinking about this before I read his article on the subject and my thoughts on it is to use water crystals that have been activated by soaking in water.
I recently left some water crystals in a sealed glass jar for about 3 months and found that they completely dissipated into the water the resulting fluid seems to be just water no smell or change in the PH so guess
that would work too but the more cost effective would no doubt be making the gel with cornflour.
The other suggestion for a gel was wallpaper paste but that would have nasties such as fungicides and I don't like that idea.
I will give it a go and see what happens.
Cheers J Cool

me2u

Back to top Go down

Fluid Sowing Empty Re: Fluid Sowing

Post  Blossom Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 am

Seems like a lot of work to me John. I prefer to sow then thin out the ones that are too close. I often wonder how nurseries get punnets with exactly 6 or 8 plants in tidy rows though. Maybe this is how they do it! With fine seed like carrots, I mix in about 2 to 1 fine sand and just spread them in rows, this distributes the seeds nicely. My con cern with his method is that the germinating seed would get damaged with all that handling. If you try it, let us know how it works (photos too if poss!)
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down