Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bargain Buy

5 posters

Go down

Bargain Buy Empty Bargain Buy

Post  Blossom Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 am

Just went to the nursery for a browse and found all the colourful Chrysanthemums, returned from Woolies Mother Day sale reduce to $1 a pot! Got myself 10. Even if they only last a few weeks, they can be cut back for an even better show next autumn, and the pots are worth something!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Bargain Buy Empty Re: Bargain Buy

Post  robbin Sat May 24, 2008 12:08 pm

We were in Big W Mother's Day around 3 pm, and they were selling the chryssies out at $2 a pot, including the 8" pots with 4 plants in each. I've promised to dress our local Art Show with plants, on Queen's Birthday weekend, so I grabbed a heap. Til then it was just ferns, spiky plants and bamboos on the list. Now we have pretties too.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm

I love Chrysanthemums. My Dad used to grow exhibition ones - the really large blooms and won heaps of show prizes with the ones he bred himself. He never named them, or patented them - reckoned that was for people who put more store in fame than beauty. He supplied all the churches in the district with magnificent altar vases full for harvest festival services. That was his gesture to religion and the priest left him alone the rest of the year! If he had spare flowers he'd take a walk down the street with a bunch or two and if he saw any ladies looking a bit sad, he'd bow from his great height of 6'6" and give them a bunch. What a flirt he was and how he brightened up the dark for some people.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat May 24, 2008 1:06 pm

Well I will hunt some down next week - I was given some cuttings at Christmas and they are all flowering now but only the one colour . I love the small white ones - they make a picture when looking their best but there are so many of them these days. A lucky find - hope I will be as lucky Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sat May 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Oh dear - I looked briefly but was in a hurry. Probably too late now. I love the little ones. They make such a lovely show at this time of year, when there is little else. In my garden at present it is fading roses, marigolds, wall flowers, a few pansies, and nerines.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun May 25, 2008 4:24 am

Bargin, will you put them in the ground Arrow
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun May 25, 2008 4:50 am

Yep - they are in. I've done this in previous garden and just cut them back after flowering and they come again the following year. The cuttings can be struck too. Very good value flowers!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun May 25, 2008 2:09 pm

great cut flowers, last for weeks with a reg. water change cherry
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!