Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So tell us about Noisettes

4 posters

Go down

So tell us about Noisettes Empty So tell us about Noisettes

Post  Blossom Tue May 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I noticed on your order lists you refer to noisettes - are these miniature roses. I am not a student of varieties of rose, just buy what looks nice although I have a bit of a thing for Delbards and DA's just for the look of them. But to be honest I don't know a HT from a Damask ( just throwing words in here!) and there may be others who would like to know what the different types are. We had a discussion today about what to do once The Wall is finished and have a vague plan in a couple of years or maybe this year, to sacrifice one of the veggie beds that runs parallel with the Wall and turn it into a rose garden. So I think I'd better learn a bit about them!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

So tell us about Noisettes Empty Re: So tell us about Noisettes

Post  The Estate Tue May 06, 2008 12:45 pm

A bit the same here, always looking for a rose book to explain things, a slow learner I'm afraid Embarassed
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Easiest roses to grow - climbers but you can prune to a shrub. They have a twiggy structure - no thick thorny canes and are easily trained. Crepescule is probably the best known - lends wonderful apricot colour to the garden - can use it any which way - as a mounding shrub, hedge. Larmarque is an outstanding climber - arguably the best white rose ever bred - has wonderful light green foliage and will cover a pergola in seconds. But all the noisettes have good foliage - no bare canes or half dressed ladies among them in my experience.

A personal favourite is Deprez a Fleur Jaune which has two completely different blooms summer and winter. The summer are loose semi double, buttery yellow - nothing to write home about but in winter the petals turn translucent lemon and puff out like an Elizabethan ruff - sheer magic. I would pick her for a vase just so I could stare at her.

Then there is Celine which I've ordered - she restrains herself a bit more than the others, Alistair Stella Gray - a stellar rose, Reve d'Or.

I have never planted one I didn't like. Crep is a diva and likes things just so but the rest are easy as. I haven't grown the original, Blush Noisette, because I didn't think it would survive as harsh a climate as mine - but go take a look. Mind you, none are particularly photogenic - flowers are smaller than what the average rose grower likes these days. But the colours are subtle and fit anywhere, growth is quick - they are a wonderful class of rose. I'm glad I discovered them and wouldn't be without at least one in my garden. I am greedy and had several where I once lived.

There's a wonderful romantic and interesting tale to be told of Phillipe Noisette who had a hand in the breeding of Blush Noisette and others too I believe - will tell you one day Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Wed May 07, 2008 4:12 am

The top of my weeper Very Happy

[img]So tell us about Noisettes 23rdOct05[/img]

and a close up

So tell us about Noisettes IMG_1488
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed May 07, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for the information Fran - for some reason I thought that Noisette meant they were little flowers, as that's French for Hazel Nut! I didn't realise its a person's name! Now I am going off on another gardening tangent. Would these be suitable for the Fairy garden that the children want to tend, i.e. less thorns?

TheE - what lovely pictures. So you can train them to a weeping habit or trim them into bushes, am I right?
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Wed May 07, 2008 2:17 pm

mine should start to weep this season I hope Sad it is only 2 years old and it can take up to 3 - 4 years to really get going , if I dont want it to weep Sad I could prune like a normal standard, but would look silly at 2 metres tall Laughing My aother weeper renea in the back yard has done very well, I have a pic if you would like to see it sunny
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Wed May 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Love to - the more I see the closer to deciding what to buy Wink
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Wed May 07, 2008 3:14 pm

So tell us about Noisettes IMG_1133-1

So tell us about Noisettes IMG_0152

2nd is not a great pic, very hard to take Suspect this was last year and hopefully this year another foot longer Cool
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed May 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Well kids prefer informality - petals to sniff and scatter - hips to collect. Wouldn't say noisettes are thornless but they don't jump out and grab you and a few prickles teaches them to be careful. Another benign rose with the same kindly nature is Renae but the only completely thornless rose I know is Zepherine Drouhin and it's a bourbon. My kids loved to smell it - they waited in anticipation for it to flower. They were allowed to pick some, pull apart, scatter petals over themselves and would tease they could smell the perfume on each other. It's the perfect rose for an arch or a wall in a child's garden.

Don't forget to give them something stripey Smile

Your Renae is perfection Thee Smile

Roses are red
Voilets are ....
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat Wed May 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Thee ...your rose pics are just beautiful (as usual)...was only thinking today that my Pierre De Ronsard gave me approx 6 roses when I first planted it a few months ago & have had no flowers since...read this week that climbers can often take a few years to really settle in & flower abundantly...is this true?? Sad
Patricia
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 08, 2008 5:48 am

Patricia ( as in Pat Rolling Eyes ) climbers take a good three years to get going, and should not been pruned for at least the first 2 years, a tidy up is okay, and after that they suggest to cut of at least one old cane every season to encourage a new cane to grow from the graft. I hope this helps a bit Rolling Eyes
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat Thu May 08, 2008 6:04 am

Thee thanks for that...knew you'd have the answer.. Very Happy
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet