Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonsai bagging for fruit trees

3 posters

Go down

bonsai bagging for fruit trees Empty bonsai bagging for fruit trees

Post  Fran Fri May 02, 2008 8:47 am

Has anyone thought of growing dwarf fruit trees in bonsai bags ? This is a new idea or at least I haven't heard mention of it before but you can buy these bags from Daleys. Was thinking it might be a better way to go than an orchard where space is an issue - or water, which it is for most. Has anyone had experience with them or know someone who has - I'm wondering about the particulars of feeding and watering - if it's complicated.

Found this which explains the technical details - http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2001062072&IA=WO2001062072&DISPLAY=DESC

What do you think?
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

bonsai bagging for fruit trees Empty Re: bonsai bagging for fruit trees

Post  Raymondo Sat May 03, 2008 3:05 am

An interesting idea Fran. Great for the smaller backyard. The article in your link does say that woven materials aren't as effective because the 'holes' strecth as the roots grow and Daley's is offering woven bags. I wonder if this problem has been overcome.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Sat May 03, 2008 4:44 am

I will have my daughter look into this for future reference. She is in Melb with a smallish backyard. On my advice she planted 2 fruit trees per hole and has apple/nashi, peach/apricot, plum/plum. They are doing very well so far. I Showed her how to prune them to 2 leaders each tree, so there are 4 outward branches all together. The trees seem to be co-operating, and forming a nice shape so far. I'm hoping they will actually form a graft at trunk for extra strength.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down