Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transplanting a Magnolia

4 posters

Go down

Transplanting a Magnolia Empty Transplanting a Magnolia

Post  Blossom Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 pm

I've got a little magnolia - pink I think - at the front of the house and it's done nothing. The soil is rubbish for the most part and we've been concentrating on the back. It also catches the south west wind and had been very neglected. I am thinking of moving it to the raised bed when the wall is finished - probably June/July. It will be more sheltered and will face north. I'd like some advice on when is the best time to move it.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Transplanting a Magnolia Empty Re: Transplanting a Magnolia

Post  The Estate Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 pm

not familiar with them but would use the same method as moving most plants, when dormant Rolling Eyes
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Thu May 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Seem my comments for transplanting a bay tree. I once translplanted a Camellia in mid summer using this method. Fortunately it was a mild summer (6 years ago) and it did well. Had to move it because we put in the decking where it was growing. Sadly it has to be moved again as wek have decided to turn the deck into a sunny sort of outdoor room, and a cat run down one end where the camellias are.
A magnolia would cope quite well using this method. You might not even need to trench it. Just dig a channel and give it a good soak.
I lost my little magnolia this summer. Couldn't keep the water up to that part of the garden. The Gardenias are OK, and I will be shifting those soon.
What is it about us gardeners that we have to keep moving things round? I have heaps of roses that I have to move. Some of my DA's were planted in full sun, but the trees have grown and now shade them and I get no blooms Sad
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat Thu May 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Quote Siri - What is it about us gardeners that we have to keep moving things round?

I have a liquidamber & the poor thing was moved about 5 times before I was satisfied with it's position...always moved it when it was dormant & it survived each & every move ...without any hiccup!! Now approx 8 metres high so it won't be going anywhere from here on...

My husband tells me I have a similar problem with regards moving furniture ... Embarassed
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 01, 2008 2:58 pm

LOL I have lost count of moving furniture, only to get so confused it goes back into the same place, at least the walls and carpets get a good clean Laughing
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks Siri - I don't think it will flower where it is, but I'll try to time it between flower and leaf. I'm eventually building a Fairy Garden and I think it will be lovely there - if it ever gets off the ground. I nearly bought a house once just for the Camellias in the garden. It had bright green carpet and an orange kitchen and a "wild West" bar in the corner of the living room, but I was tempted! Stecranat, I have a little Japanese Maple that has been moved three times - it started here and moved to Hobart, then back again!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Fri May 02, 2008 5:22 am

Laughing One of the attractions to my house was there was not garden Shocked and now after 16b years my back garden is just about right, 3 total changes so far and a few to do this winter Shocked
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down