Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New Veggie Patch

4 posters

Go down

My New Veggie Patch Empty My New Veggie Patch

Post  The Estate Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 am

Update on progress , have a punnet of Chinese cabbage to plant out after work tonight, cant wait till summer to get my marties in

[url]My New Veggie Patch IMG_1949[/url]
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

My New Veggie Patch Empty Re: My New Veggie Patch

Post  Blossom Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 am

Looking wonderful! It's brass monkey weather here so anything remotely needing warmth has bit the dust. Broccoli is coming on nicely though and this should curl the toes of the Brussels Sprouts!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:33 am

Yes wet and cold here today, must rig up a ???? to protect my chilli's over winter, hoping to get a few years out of them and the 2 egg plants Very Happy
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 am

Take a look at Scarecrow's blog - she has some amazing structures, you could do a tunnel with plastic to protect them. I'm potting a few up and putting them in the hothouse which is not heated so got down to 1 degree there last night! So long as they don;t get frosted they probably will do OK, but I'm not experienced at over-wintering, Ray and Gnome might be the ones to help. Those chillies are fantastic! Mine just never got past green before the cold struck. Gotta go shovel concrete - have dodged long enough!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Stecranat Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 pm

Gosh Thee that looks great.. Shocked ....maybe you should keep your eye out for some discarded windows...we built a hothouse last winter from discarded windows & it has worked wonders...this is the first year in ages that we had such great success with tomatoes...in fact I have tomatoes still producing now...sadly we planted broccoli outside in the garden & something has eaten them back to ground level...have re-shot though so maybe there is hope yet!
Stecranat
Stecranat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm

If you don't get heavy frost, you can protect them just by throwing something over them at night. You won't get much in the way of fruit though. Once it warms up, give them a good tidy up with the secateurs and they'll take off again. I have mine in pots inside because we get -10°C regularly here.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Stecranat wrote:Gosh Thee that looks great.. Shocked ....maybe you should keep your eye out for some discarded windows...we built a hothouse last winter from discarded windows & it has worked wonders...this is the first year in ages that we had such great success with tomatoes...in fact I have tomatoes still producing now...sadly we planted broccoli outside in the garden & something has eaten them back to ground level...have re-shot though so maybe there is hope yet!

Great idea but I already have one , mayve a few cheap tarps and poles from Bunnings scratch
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Raymondo wrote:If you don't get heavy frost, you can protect them just by throwing something over them at night. You won't get much in the way of fruit though. Once it warms up, give them a good tidy up with the secateurs and they'll take off again. I have mine in pots inside because we get -10°C regularly here.

Thanks for that , I was just going to let them do there own thing and prune like a normal plant once it starts to warm up again Smile
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down