Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My poor stallion - ouch!

4 posters

Go down

My poor stallion - ouch! Empty My poor stallion - ouch!

Post  Betty Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:46 am

Hi all,
There is never a dull moment just lately with my ponies, the latest calamity being that my pony stallion tore his bottom eyelid open. I spent my time yesterday waiting for the vet and imagining the pony having to have a general anaesthetic, but no, just a sedation and a local, about a 10 minute job with 5 or more stitches and he's looking a lot better. Hope he behaves now when I have to put ointment in his eye. I wondered why my arms were sore this morning then realised it was from trying to hold the pony's head up for Brian.

Cheers
Betty
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

My poor stallion - ouch! Empty Re: My poor stallion - ouch!

Post  siri Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:07 am

Horses are always problems Betty. Time you took to breeding chickens - LOL.
How did he do his eyelid? On a fence? The skin there is so thin I can just imagine it catching and tearing on a bit of wire. They really need to be reared on cotton wool some of them. It's amazing they don't do more damage than they do.
I hope it heals up quickly, and that he has learned a lesson from it all.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 am

Hope it heals quickly Betty. We've seen a lot of the vet this year too but our stallion is the picture of health at the moment and the foal that cut its leg the day it was born is galloping around too Smile

If you'd like to take a photo and add it to your own gallery you can copy to a post. Just found out how - Jan just did too - great minds think alike LOL So if you want help there are two of us here to talk you through it Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:44 am

I did breed chickens, Jan, but their feed attracted too many mice, which in turn attracted snakes. He did the eyelid I assume by lying almost on his side to get grass under the fence of his yard. He was lucky as it tore from the very outside corner of the eye, which means that when it heals there won't be a gap in the rim of the eyelid anywhere. This pony is very accident prone, in fact he's a wreck because he can't keep out of trouble, but someone has to try and look after him I guess. LOL.

How did you foal hurt itself, Fran, and what damage? So unusual for a foal to be hurt in my experience.

My poor stallion - ouch! Digby_10
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 am

Poor dear - tender spot so must have hurt. Did you go crook on him LOL

Haven't a clue what happened with the foal - maybe it stumbled onto a sharp stone while trying to get up on its feet. We were away the morning it foaled and when we saw it thought it was just a minor cut - dressed it of course but an infection developed and in just a few days was noticeably swollen and getting worse so we had to call the vet. Sample proved it to be something unusual - can't remember but DH will. Once treated it healed up fairly quickly. We were worried for awhile. Never had it happen to any of our foals before.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm

No point going crook about it, Fran, the damage was done. We'll replace the wire tomorrow hopefully, put it right to the ground too so he can't get his head under. I think it is hurting him, he's not eating well today.

I feel sorry for your poor foal, not a great start for it. I'm enjoying my trips to town nowadays as I pass an Apaloosa stud where there are some young foals. In the recent cold weather they had the cutest little blue rugs on them. Very Happy
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  meriash Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Oh Betty, you and your four legged friends have been in the wars this year.

Amazing how the one and only piece of wire in a paddock will find a horse or stud bull or cow to do some damage too.

Hope Beauty is on the mend too.
Marion
meriash
meriash
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 pm

I think horses are just an accident going somewhere to happen at times. Delicate creatures. At least our vet likes us. Or is it our cheque book? LOL. Beauty is up to the 'canter out of the stable/pigroot in your face when she comes into the stable' stage, or fit enough to be dangerous in other words. Rolling Eyes I should re-name her motor mouth because of how fast she grabs and chews up her carrots. She's enjoying herself at any rate.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum