Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Durgan

Go down

Hello from Durgan Empty Hello from Durgan

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:09 pm

My garden area is about 0.4 acres in an urban setting with flower beds, fruit trees, bush berries, and vegetable beds in one of the best climate conditions for growing in Canada. My area has about 115 frost free days during the growing season, so I only get one chance with a plant per year. This property was grass when purchased 5 years ago, and was very wet due to poor drainage, but good clay soil, which was made productive by installing drainage tile, etc.- all by myself.

My interest is seeing what other people grow, and am always interested in the experiences of others as to what they are growing and the quality of the produce. Usually I try to grow some different fruit or vegetable each year, with various degrees of success and failure.

Seldom do I go into the garden without my camera, and pictures are posted on a convenient website for easy viewing of various operations and plants. My display system is simply annotated pictures, and is the best display system on the Internet-quick and simple. All my comments are from direct experience and observation, and I seldom babble on a subject on which I have no personal experience. My approach is practical and not theoretical.

I keep a detailed Garden Journal and add to the subject plant in one file. This means the page depicts the plant in various growing modes throughout the season.

Gardening and photography are closely related, and a few pictures are much better than a lot of prose describing an plant or problem with such.

My interests are photography, computers to use-it doesn't use me, dog, gardening, wilderness camping, mushrooms if possible, current events, human food. I eat to live not live to eat. I am retired and started life on a homestead of 160 acres of virgin land, born in a log cabin, and lived there until 15 years of age, until I sold my soul to make a living and raise a family. I know what green living is in reality without any modern conveniences.
Durgan.

Back to top Go down

Hello from Durgan Empty Re: Hello from Durgan

Post  jaxter Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 am

Hi Durgan,

Welcome to the forum - its interesting to get a perspective from the northern hemisphere and you certainly have a lot of experience to share. I see you're interested in mushrooms - do you go mushroom gathering in the forests? I'd love to do that, but don't trust my knowledge of mushrooms. I went mushrooming in the Ukraine with relatives a couple of years ago and had to trust that my partner's 80 yr old aunt knew the good mushies from the bad. We didn't die, so I guess she got it right - some were chanterelles, some were porcini and others I didn't recognise.

Anyway, enjoy the forum - Aussie gardeners are friendly bunch!

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 am

jaxter wrote:Hi Durgan,

Welcome to the forum - its interesting to get a perspective from the northern hemisphere and you certainly have a lot of experience to share. I see you're interested in mushrooms - do you go mushroom gathering in the forests? I'd love to do that, but don't trust my knowledge of mushrooms. I went mushrooming in the Ukraine with relatives a couple of years ago and had to trust that my partner's 80 yr old aunt knew the good mushies from the bad. We didn't die, so I guess she got it right - some were chanterelles, some were porcini and others I didn't recognise.

Anyway, enjoy the forum - Aussie gardeners are friendly bunch!

I do collect wild edible mushrooms, but I now live in an area devoid of good sites, and have to drive long distances for acceptable collecting, so I have dropped off more and more each year. Most people suffer from mushroomphobia, and are afraid of them. I learned more from those old ladies from the old world wandering around the mushroom area than from any book.

I know most of the poisonous mushrooms in my area and am certain of about eight varieties for eating, but often they are not in sufficient quantity to bother with, when seen, except in certain locations. It gives one a good excuse for wandering around in the bush if nothing else, and many mushrooms are most photogenic.

A caveat: Don't even think about eating a mushroom unless 100% sure of the identification.

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:35 am

Durgan wrote:many mushrooms are most photogenic.

Tasmania has some verrrry photogenic mushrooms - you may be interested in the following topic on a Tassie bushwalking forum: http://bushwalk-tasmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 am

jaxter wrote:
Durgan wrote:many mushrooms are most photogenic.

Tasmania has some verrrry photogenic mushrooms - you may be interested in the following topic on a Tassie bushwalking forum: http://bushwalk-tasmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82

Thanks for the link. The first thread that I opened had mushrooms that I recognized, from my own personal experience. A beautiful site.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum