Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decisions Decisions

+2
lorraine
Blossom
6 posters

Go down

Decisions Decisions Empty Decisions Decisions

Post  Blossom Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:34 am

I am going to grow Crete, Cypriot, Santorini and Rainy's Maltese this year plus 6 others - THAT'S IT!!!! I know Rainy's Maltese is fabulous - grew it last year, opinions on the Greeks and Cypriots appreciated. I mainly process my tomatoes into sauces etc so good colour, solid varieties suit me. I haven't found the Roma types of processing tomatoes doing well here. Poor crops, maybe too cool or short a season. What do you reckon? I'm a chuck 'em in the pot together type of cook and am world famous (only in this house of grandchildren) for my sauces Suspect
Help yourselves to the list I've posted elsewhere - it will reduce my choices!

I am so sick of this rain - never thought I'd say that!!!!!!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Decisions Decisions Empty Re: Decisions Decisions

Post  lorraine Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:07 am

hi blossom so very glad you liked rainys , yeps its a goody I have sent you a pm too ok
wasnt sure if you had tried it or not , and still have lots of seeds ,

yeah cold and drizzly here to
lorraine
lorraine
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks rainy,

It is p***ing it down here - all night and all day - Bob has gone to Launceston with Carmen and two other little girl soccer players to see the soccer. He says it is dry there, so it seems like there is this bloody big rain ( 45ml in 12 hours) just over this area. It's been like this for 3 weeks, and I am expecting the house to lift and float away! It's 6 degrees outside, topped at 9 today. I blame the Pope!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Blossom,

Thanks again for the tomato seeds you sent me a while ago - I'm going to have a tough time choosing which to grow - I've been told by my other half that I must plant at least some Grosse Lisse (for eating) and Romas (for sauce), so I probably only have room for half a dozen additional plants.

I'm just wondering when to start germinating my seeds of choice. I've never grown tomatoes from seed before. I have an unheated glasshouse and am debating whether to start them in the glasshouse or on top of my fridge for warmth. I generally use normal premium potting mix for germinating seeds, but thought I might lash out and get a bag of proper seedraising mix to make sure I'm successful! Very Happy

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

I'd start them indoors early September. I did all mine last year in the hothouse but I heated it. This was because I wanted to bring them on early as we were going away in October. I use plastic storage containers upside down over punnets to create mini hothouses. Just dampen the soil and put the seeds on top, no need to bury them. Nearer to time we tomato freaks will be able to help. Gnome starts all hers indoors and has some pictures on her blog. I'll fish out some of my pictures too. Are you back? Hope you had a good trip. Snow down to 300m tonight by the forecast.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jaxter Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 am

Blossom wrote: Are you back? Hope you had a good trip. Snow down to 300m tonight by the forecast.

Thanks. We had a great trip - everything is so green in South Australia! Visited lots of wineries in Clare and the Barossa (even got a tasting of Henschke's Hill of Grace - $485/bottle!) and thoroughly enjoyed our night at the opera. It was fun to visit Lucky's garden and menagerie - gardeners are always so welcoming!

Pouring down rain at the moment - I couldn't see the mountain this morning so not sure if we got the snow or not. I'm happy to have the rain as we just planting 3 melaleucas yesterday as a front hedge and they needed a good watering in.

jaxter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Gnome Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 am

Oh, no! Tomato talk already!?! I'm not ready.

I admire your courage and determination, Blossom. Are you sure you can stick to these few varieties?

When are you going to start your seeds?

Mad Gnome
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://madgnomes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 am

Probably not until October if we go away in September, otherwise September. Not doing sales this year, just trying to get rational about this tomato thing, I still have a freezer full despite using them at least 4 times a week!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am

Blossom wrote:... just trying to get rational about this tomato thing...
I don't believe the words rational and tomato belong in the same sentence!
Having said that, I've cut down dramatically this year. I'm in the process of sowing now and am down to less than 50 varieties this year. With the changes to import regulations though, I may have to up that number just to get fresh seed of some of my older holdings!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucky1 Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 am

I too have lots of tommy seeds to choose from, a lot have been given to me or sent to me by beautiful gardeners Very Happy I love you

So have to love a kind hearted gardener don't you???

I now have my mini hot house (last year I didn't have one) and now I can grow different to what is being sold in the shops. What a Face

So I can't wait to start my selection off this year.
Lucky1
Lucky1
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

http://luckysduckfarm.blogspot.com/  http://myknittingbox.blogsp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum