Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Quick Quilt

5 posters

Go down

Another Quick Quilt Empty Another Quick Quilt

Post  Blossom Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:13 pm

I did this while Amy was getting inspiration from life and magazines for her main quilt. This grew beautifully as I started with the central theme and used up scraps from my copious scrap bag. Funny though - it still seems full, so today I've made a start on a couple more bags for Carmen's online sales. Will finish them later in the week. This quilt cost nothing in that all the materials have been used in previous projects. But of course, it's going to Pam to be finished and quilted by machine so will add a bit of cost, but worth it not to send myself blind doing the quilting by hand. I'm not sure if I like this one. The blue borders are a gorgeous oriental fabric with the flowers outlined in gold so it's quite luminous!

Another Quick Quilt Scraps10
Another Quick Quilt Scraps11
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Another Quick Quilt Empty Re: Another Quick Quilt

Post  The Estate Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:23 am

I like it very much, cheers
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:34 am

So it's done at last - and it's beautiful - you must be pleased. I love the touches of yellow - would suit a lot of rooms I imagine - cheer them up.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:58 am

We had the girlies for the weekend and Carmen got to raid the scrap bag again. I had a load of gorgeous Moda squares ready cut, which I'd forgotten about. She found then, ironed them, and pieced this lap quilt in a weekend. I'm very pleased with the efforts Carmen makes, she is quite fussy. The bags she made didn't sell on eBay so we have three bags hanging around, but that's a lesson in life. I will get this professionally quilted as a girls first quilt is worth the extra expense and it's only 1.5 meters square. Olivia did a grand job cutting leaves off brussell sprouts and feeding worm wee to all the other greens. Phew!! though when they went home.

Another Quick Quilt Carmen10
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:04 am

How quick was that Shocked , she did a great job as well I love you
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:29 pm

that's beautifully assembled for a first quilt. wonder who she gets it from? Rolling Eyes lol!
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm

She doesn't get her patience from me! I've been known to rip something apart and chuck it. She meticulously unpicks any that don't quite measure up. It was interesting to hear her telling her little sister what she was doing
" Now, when you start off sewing you start the machine slowly" and " It is important to cut the squares accurately so then you don't get a problem with the points not meeting" and " You have to be 11 before you can really understand that you control it with your foot" - that last one was not a repeat of me. I think we'll be buying her a sewing machine for her birthday/Christmas. There are a few good ones on reduced sale at the moment. Phew - cheaper than a laptop!
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  robbin Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Lovely quilts. Carmen's is very nicely 'balanced' in arrangement, and the fabrics are beautiful.
robbin
robbin
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:55 am

Yes a sewing machine is in order - Carmen will need one for sure Smile - love the colours in her quilt.

Had forgotten but I had one made for my daughter when she turned 18. It was a double celebration because it was the end of her schooldays and she was saying goodbye to all her closest friends. I wanted to get her something that would commemorate commemorate her achievements and mark the passing of the years and a friend's mother offered to make her a quilt. I went to Laura Ashleys - not having a clue Rolling Eyes and bought some different coordinating materials. It was made into a simple pattern of squares with a border and guests were invited to sign their names on each square. My friend's mother then embroidered? is that the word - over each signature and comment. Ended up a work of art - she decided to use it as a cot quilt when all her babies were born. The fabric is good quality and stitching perfect so it will last a very long time even with the use it gets. I think she plans to hang it on a wall eventually.

It was worth way more than I paid for it - and is a work of art really. Carmen is not only a sewer but an artist if that is her first effort - how lucky she is to have happened on such a pastime - she will get hours of enjoyment and be able to give very great pleasure to those she makes them for - what a gift Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 am

SO sweet Fran I love you
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!